Vintage Holdsworth - can you help ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rimmer

Can anyone give me a quick assessment of this Holdsworth bike. It's not clean and white does not seem to be a common colour for a Holdsworth. I've tried to google the model, but I keep coming up blank.

I assume post 1987 because of the Shimano 105 rear mech. But again that's a guess. Does anyone know if this example is a good bike or not?

51497178370_25b15cde1d_b.jpg

51496250786_bf3f5e9e29_b.jpg

51495463297_2ce2d7344b_b.jpg

51496966469_90993c8107_b.jpg

51497178135_33e1f79d59_b.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's older than 87. Thre mech is newer.

midlife

Guru
Over bb guides and nutted brakes puts it younger as said, the newer Reynolds decal might mean a refinish. I'll have a think about model. There's a thread on Retrobike about Holdsworth frame numbers and models

Catalogues here, Holdsworth went under bb quite early.? a Special from the late 70's?

http://nkilgariff.com/Models.htm

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Head badge, drop outs, chainset, brakes, and fork crown. Could be 70's. We've got some experts on here - I only really know 85 onwards as had a period Raleigh 531c and own two early 90's steel bikes - this is a fair bit older and also the freewheel, looks like the rear axel is 126mm, as from around 85-86 130mm was the new standard, which has remained.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Are they wrap-over seat stays? If so coukd be a ‘pro’ model.
The large head tube could suggest late 70s early 80s when over large frames were the rage.
Lugwork not too exciting. My 1982 Holdsworth also has welded cable guides on the top tube and under the bottom bracket, so pre ‘82.
I’d say late 70s resprayed.

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

That website showing all the models - I had a wade through it but still couldn't work out the Model?

Some interesting feedback here however:
  • Late 70's
  • Re-sprayed?
  • Wrap over seat stays could be a pro model? Wow if it's a pro model I guess (pity about the respray).
Hopefully we can nail down a model soon

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

I can go find out ... but I can't right now. You are right there is no wrap over ....

Hopefully it's a good frame at least underneath all the spray and add-ons (i.e. 105). Pity it wasn't original ...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Definitely resprayed, witness the 531 ‘renovated’ decal. I suspect only 531 main tubes. Looks like a 70’s cooking model. Bit of a Heinz and rather scruffy but could be turned into something presentable with a bit of TLC.

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

70s Cooking model - is that slang or actually a model of Holdsworth?

Truth is they want £60 for it - it’s my frame size - but I’m not buying it if it’s not of that value - I may as well look for a Houldsworth that is more original instead.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
70s Cooking model - is that slang or actually a model of Holdsworth?

Truth is they want £60 for it - it’s my frame size - but I’m not buying it if it’s not of that value - I may as well look for a Houldsworth that is more original instead.
£60 in the right frame size is a deal I’d definitely take. It’ll give a nice supple ride and a little TLC is all that’s required.
Holdsworth made all kinds of frames, some excellent a few more •economical• but as they’re mostly some firm of 531 combinations they usually ride nicely - and that’s the main point!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
At the moment £60 would be a good price but you have to remember that it's been repainted so it could be anything , but if it fits you then that's a good starting point.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, ‘coooking’ = economical. If you’re looking for a bike that will ride well at a very reasonable price and needs a fair bit of work then it’s a great deal. If you’re looking for a guaranteed genuine premium Holdsworth in full 531 then look elsewhere.
The clue to this one will be the frame number under the BB.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
£60 is a steal if its a 70's Holdsworth - ask for a pic of the BB frame number then you'll have a better idea. It must be earlier than 1980 if genuine, and if the head badge is genuine, as mine is 1980 and it has a transfer headbadge.

it obviously needs a quill stem and return to drop bars, but all but the latest 80's Holdsworth's were 531 frames and they are a lovely ride,
a few pics of mine on here.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/impulse-buy-holdsworth.273540/page-3

frame number database
http://nkilgariff.com/FrameNosTemp.htm

Top Bottom