Vintage Ian May road bike, handmade Reynolds steel frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
My Ian May is up for grabs again - I'm trying to move on some of the bikes I don't get a chance to ride and am hoping to find a home for this beautiful vintage road bike. Fully restored last year by myself, the details of which are in my restoration thread here!

For those in a hurry, the short version is thus:

I purchased the frame on eBay, it was painted gold and branded as a Colnago but the seller suspected it was an Ian May and advertised it as such. Frame measures ~23" from centre of BB to top of seat tube and ~21.5" from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube.

I stripped it down to bare metal when it arrived and I found the Ian May frame number 014-IMC on the BB shell. This means it's a genuine handmade frame built by the late Ian May himself. I'm told most of the bikes sold as Ian May's used imported framesets so this one, number 14, is fairly special.

It has campagnolo dropouts and lugs and Reynolds 531 frame tubes and fork legs. I have sprayed the frame a deep blue with ivory lugs.

I built the frame up to be used so the groupset has been chosen to suit and is slightly newer than the frame, largely Campagnolo Chorus. I laced the Chorus hubs on to new Mavic rims with new spokes. The 6 speed freewheel is new old stock, as is the chain and the chainrings.

The bike has covered a grand total of around a mile since it was rebuilt. I'm asking a very reasonable £500 which doesnt quite cover my costs for building it but I had a lot of fun with this project and would rather it went to someone who has the time to ride it :okay: A

Here are some photos:

Duffy

Über Member
That’s beautiful

GLWTS

:smile:

pawl

Legendary Member
My Ian May is up for grabs again - I'm trying to move on some of the bikes I don't get a chance to ride and am hoping to find a home for this beautiful vintage road bike. Fully restored last year by myself, the details of which are in my restoration thread here!

For those in a hurry, the short version is thus:

I purchased the frame on eBay, it was painted gold and branded as a Colnago but the seller suspected it was an Ian May and advertised it as such. Frame measures ~23" from centre of BB to top of seat tube and ~21.5" from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube.

I stripped it down to bare metal when it arrived and I found the Ian May frame number 014-IMC on the BB shell. This means it's a genuine handmade frame built by the late Ian May himself. I'm told most of the bikes sold as Ian May's used imported framesets so this one, number 14, is fairly special.

It has campagnolo dropouts and lugs and Reynolds 531 frame tubes and fork legs. I have sprayed the frame a deep blue with ivory lugs.

I built the frame up to be used so the groupset has been chosen to suit and is slightly newer than the frame, largely Campagnolo Chorus. I laced the Chorus hubs on to new Mavic rims with new spokes. The 6 speed freewheel is new old stock, as is the chain and the chainrings.

The bike has covered a grand total of around a mile since it was rebuilt. I'm asking a very reasonable £500 which doesnt quite cover my costs for building it but I had a lot of fun with this project and would rather it went to someone who has the time to ride it :okay: A

Here are some photos:

View attachment 502063

View attachment 502064

View attachment 502065

View attachment 502066

View attachment 502067

View attachment 502062
That’s looks really good.Just how bikes should look.

Gunk

Guru
Could you not hang on for another month or so, better weather should surely see more interest?

Lovely bike btw!

I agree, I would hang on it for a few more months, the market is a bit odd at the moment, the Coronavirus is not helping. It’s far too nice to give away.

Duffy

Über Member
Folks
due to being knocked off of my bike in April and suffering 4 fractures to my lower spine, my days of comfortably riding drop handlebars are behind me.
I bought this bike from John and other than replacing the chain for a longer one and replacing the bar tape with Brooks leather to match the saddle, it is as it was then.
However it's gathering dust and it needs to be sold (along with various other bikes)
If anybody is interested, please message me
Thanks!

Top Bottom