Vintage Lawnmowers, Stationary Engines, and olde Mechanical Tech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I must update you chaps on the status of the Suffolk Super Colt. Ill endeavpur to find the vox brownie tomorrow and post the results up here.
Is the Vox Brownie a contemporary of the Fender Tweed Deluxe?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I bought a Hayterette a while ago, it'll be perfect for the job I have in mind (rough mowing long grass in a paddock). It was a non runner, so got it cheap.
I still haven't got it running, there's a good spark, timing is not adjustable and petrol seems to be getting through. There didn't seem to be much compression (tested by the hi tech way of putting my finger over the spark plug hole). So I took the head off and the exhaust valve gives a little jump on the compression stroke, hence no compression. Will have to dismantle further, but I'm blowed if I can find the 7/16 UNF bolt I need (and which I bought specially earlier in the year).
Curiouser and curiouser. Apparently the exhaust valve is supposed to give a little jump at low revs, it's to help when starting. Anyhows, I stripped it down, re ground the valves and generally cleaned it up, put it back together and it still doesn't start. Grrr. I'll get there in the end.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
On the subject of stationary engines, I hsve a replacement boiler to fit to a Mamod SE3 twin cylinder engine. Then I'm going to try to drive an old SA Dynohub from it. It should have enough power if I drive the large part of the hub shell from the flywheel pulley, allowing the engine to run fast enough.

newts

Veteran
On the subject of stationary engines, I hsve a replacement boiler to fit to a Mamod SE3 twin cylinder engine. Then I'm going to try to drive an old SA Dynohub from it. It should have enough power if I drive the large part of the hub shell from the flywheel pulley, allowing the engine to run fast enough.

I'd like to see this when it's up & running. A Bowman 101 would be my choice to drive a small dynamo, it has a 1lb brass flywheel.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
People have tried to run bottle dynamos from the single cylinder ones and failed, but a bottle needs to be driven at very high speed, so you get no torque multiplication. A Dynohub only wants about 100rpm. It may be that it only works without an electrical load, or with a lower load than the expected 2W or so.

A Dynohub only wants about 100rpm. It may be that it only works without an electrical load, or with a lower load than the expected 2W or so.

Seen used as a wind charger in the wheel with insulation tape around selected spokes to form the blades, problem is 6 volt, but two 6 volt batteries with a centre tap does work, each half wave rectified, never tried a transformer but would guess it would work?

Top Bottom