vintage old shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iZaP

Über Member
So ok, I want to refurbish my bike a bit, new paintwork, some new parts etc.

I have these shifters.

3639540498_3d4388596e_o.jpg

Is it possible for me to convert to something like this:

campagnolo-centaur-carbon-ergopower-shifters.jpg

if yes, would it be difficult? :s :x

Thanks in advance.

asterix

Comrade Member
The big problem lies in the front and rear changers and what sort of cassette/free-wheel cluster you have. Modern shifters are indexed and thus pull an exact amount of cable corresponding to the gap between the cogs. Older shifters rely on the rider to judge the amount of cable.

Should you have a modern cassette/chainset you just need to ensure you get shifters compatible with them, otherwise the operation could be an expensive upgrade.

If you are lucky you will then just need some band-on cable stops in place of the current shifters. I don't know who would sell these but Spa Cycles are a good bet. After that, the hardest bit is re-taping the bars IME!

If you could provide a bit more information plus a photo of complete bike it might be possible to be more specific..

Manonabike

Über Member
So ok, I want to refurbish my bike a bit, new paintwork, some new parts etc.

I have these shifters.

3639540498_3d4388596e_o.jpg

Is it possible for me to convert to something like this:

campagnolo-centaur-carbon-ergopower-shifters.jpg

if yes, would it be difficult? :s :x

Thanks in advance.

Those are Compagnolio shifters and I assume you have Shimano shifters.

I did a similar upgrade last year. Campy shifters don't normally work with shimano deraileurs but if you were to get an 8 speed shimano cassette and compatible shimano deraileur then you would be ok with those shifters.

If you are running a 6 or 7 speed cassette at the moment then you'd need a new hub for the larger cassette..... in my case I got new wheels

There was a thread where I went through the whole process upgrade and a few members contributed with very helpful advice. I'll try to find it for you.

Here is that link upgrade old frame

PpPete

Legendary Member
You could well end up looking at a complete change of drive train - including wheels, cassette, chainset, mechs etc
It can be done... I've done it, and happily run a modern 9 speed Shimano drive-train from 10 speed Campag levers....but it is NOT cheap, (I spent more than the original purchase price of the new bike in 1988) so possibly not worth it unless a really good frame.

I'm guessing by the "arabesque" 600 levers yours is of a decent quality though?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You could well end up looking at a complete change of drive train - including wheels, cassette, chainset, mechs etc
It can be done... I've done it, and happily run a modern 9 speed Shimano drive-train from 10 speed Campag levers....but it is NOT cheap, (I spent more than the original purchase price of the new bike in 1988) so possibly not worth it unless a really good frame.

I put a new complete Campag set on to an old frame, you need a couple of these, which fit onto the frame bosses.
Like PpP said - it can turn out to be expensive. I had a nice frame to put it all on and I'd budgeted for it so I didn't mind.

campagnolo-down-tube-threaded-gear-adjusters.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The problem is that there are no frame bosses on the bike. There's a chance you might find a suitable lump on the lever band if you take the levers off, but otherwise down tube cable stops might be difficult.

asterix

Comrade Member
The problem is that there are no frame bosses on the bike. There's a chance you might find a suitable lump on the lever band if you take the levers off, but otherwise down tube cable stops might be difficult.

Band-on cable stops were available when I did my conversion. As I said above, Spa Cycles is a possible source (I may have some lying around in York but can't look because I am not in York right now). Here is a budget version, not as pretty as the better grade.

However, I do agree with fossyant that DT shifters are quite useable. Hills don't present a problem unless you leave the shift too late! I quite happily used my unconverted bike all over the North York Moors before the ancient shifters started losing their grip.

Top Bottom