Vintage rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarryG

Hi guys,

just out of interest, is anyone doing any vintage rides such as L'Eroica Britannia or Sportive Lakes in the old way?

Looking at selling the mountain bike and getting my self an older road bike, used to have a Raleigh Record Sprint. , black and gold edition, so would quite like to get hold of another.

I'm considering popping along to the above and was wondering if anyone else was?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've looked at L'Eroica, and have an eligible bike, but the £70 cost is too much imo.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've always fancied one of those Record Sprints. Seem to be plenty about and not too expensive, would be a good project. 501 tubing I think.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've always fancied one of those Record Sprints. Seem to be plenty about and not too expensive, would be a good project. 501 tubing I think.
some are better than others and some came with the helomatic rr hubs

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've got two sprints. Toured around Mallorca a lot on one, before I brought it home.
2219310876_522862ba0f_z.jpg

The other I have modernised a bit and use it a lot. Club/day rides etc. Would make good light tourer. Nice ride both of them.
9084165628_ddc5d07358_c.jpg

12305737046_1c79d9600a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Re the Eroica Brittania. I had much the same thoughts as DCLane regarding the 70 quid, not to mention being far too old for camping et al. I was up that way this week on my bike and picked up a leaflet in Hartington (nice place), which indicates there is a Festival if Cycling attached to it at Bakewell Showground. Thought I might put something ancient from my collection into the car and pay a visit. 20th - 22nd June.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Re the Eroica Brittania. I had much the same thoughts as DCLane regarding the 70 quid, not to mention being far too old for camping et al. I was up that way this week on my bike and picked up a leaflet in Hartington (nice place), which indicates there is a Festival if Cycling attached to it at Bakewell Showground. Thought I might put something ancient from my collection into the car and pay a visit. 20th - 22nd June.
useless without pictures.

Higgins.jpg

Well, I didn't know I could post pictures, being a very new member, but this is my 1949 Higgins Ultralite. It was my father's racing bike on which he used to race criteriums for the Royal Signals (hence the colours). I had it restored to "as new" condition by Chris Hewitt of Harpenden and Argos. It was always fixed wheel in my memory. I still use the original Brooks saddle on my "modern" 1979 Viking Vision. They do soften quite nicely after 65 years.

Thought I would revive this thread as there seems to have been little said about the Eroica event. Mrs Apollonius (The Management) decided we would not take bikes up to Bakewell and that we would just visit this event. Well, it was brilliant. The riders had a ball and the range of bikes and costumes on display made for a superb spectacle. I am told that the riders were delighted by the support they had from the local villages. People were given cakes and beer on the way round and even sung-to in one of the tunnels on the Monsall.
We both wished we had entered, but even as a mere onlooker, it was a lovely event. Really want to ride it next year, but don't fancy the camping. I wonder if you can hire camper vans?

CitroenCrazy

Veteran
I rode the 55 mile Eroica route, and it was absolutely fantastic. People can gripe at the cost, but the event was huge and very well organised.
There were 3 food stops, with a super spread at each of them.
I can't wait for the next one. Indeed, I'm hearing the call of L'Eroica Italia now

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Are the vintage bikes all blinged up road bikes? Could one take a pre 1986 shopper bike for example?

Top Bottom