Vintage toolkit - why a mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I left a speculative pair of bids on a "his 'n hers" pair of Dawes recently, and was lucky enough to win (a Super Galaxy and a rather lovely Galaxy Mixte).

The Super still had a saddlebag attached, complete with a canvas tool roll inside, which weighed about 1.5kg in total, including a full set of allen keys and multiple flat spanners (the 1970s kind, generally made of cheese).

2 items intrigued me though - see photos below.

One of which I found out is a Maillard Helicomatic freewheel lockring spanner, complete with built-in bottle opener and spoke key slots. The other is a small mirror (in a rather splendid 'Florida - the sunshine state' vinyl pouch). This set me wondering. The immaculate condition of these 2 bikes, combined with the extent of the toolkit implied to me that the previous owner was a keen and meticulous cyclist. Neither bike has a Maillard freewheel, I should add! I also suspect that 'he' rode a bit more than 'she' as his was a triple-equipped Super while hers was a double-chainset Galaxy... but what I couldn't work out was why you'd need a mirror as part of a toolkit?

So, great minds of Vintage & Classic, why would one need a mirror as part of a toolkit on a gentleman's bike?

Drago

Legendary Member
To assist when one is waxing knes moustache.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Chris S

Legendary Member
If a mirror is in a pouch with 'Florida' on it then cocaine comes to mind.

Top Bottom