Vintage wheel builder ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hanlon

Tearing my hair out trying to find a sensibly priced old school wheel builder to lace up some 700c rims on Campag Record hubs this side of CHRISTMAS :cursing:
Most grateful for any suggestions - can be anywhere in the country because I'm prepared to use couriers. Thanks chaps

Tearing my hair out trying to find a sensibly priced old school wheel builder to lace up some 700c rims on Campag Record hubs this side of CHRISTMAS :cursing:
Most grateful for any suggestions - can be anywhere in the country because I'm prepared to use couriers. Thanks chaps
It's at times like this I'd have a go myself, not as difficult as you might think.
Used to get them done at a shop in BKK, old fella did them while I waited. One time, he was busy and said I'd have to come back in a few days. Asked him for the spokes and nipples, and did them myself back at home. First one takes a while, after that it gets easier all the time.
Anyways, like I say, nothing to be feared.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wills Wheels re-rimmed my 7400 Dura Ace Hubs to Mavic CXP wheels - he's based in Stockport, Sth Manchester.

http://www.willswheelsshop.co.uk/

He will probably warn you that building up wheels into older hubs could induce cracks in the hub flange due to age, but that's advisory as there is no guarantee with old hubs, unlike new ones. I said 'fine, go ahead'. The front hub had previously been radially laced, which is usually a no-no if the hub isn't particularly burly, but it was on a TT wheel. I changed to 3x on the re-build as they were to be general purpose wheels. All fine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would have suggested my friend John at Bob Warner Cycles but I don't know if he's still opening the shop, he's well into his 70s now and this situation may have tipped him into closing the shop down, Last time I saw him he was saying his knees had forced him to quit riding his bike :sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would have suggested my friend John at Bob Warner Cycles but I don't know if he's still opening the shop, he's well into his 70s now and this situation may have tipped him into closing the shop down, Last time I saw him he was saying his knees had forced him to quit riding his bike :sad:
Well he’d certainly meet the criteria for being a “vintage’ wheel builder :smile:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich. He built me a pair of SUP rims onto Dura Ace hubs (I asked for 105's but he didn't have any so did Dura Ace for same price) about 15-20 yrs ago and they are still good.
Edit: missed above reply. Anyway, still recommended for anyone else in the area.

Last edited:

velohomme

Pete Williams in Liverpool. He has built two sets for me at a good price. He has also built wheels for Chris Boardman and Robert Millar amongst others.

Top Bottom