Vinyl suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Digital makes guesses at what the sound was doing between the samples. It provides an approximation. MP3 sounds shoot compared to vinyl.

Surely that is just your opinion, to me I struggle to tell the difference between LP, CD and MP3, a lifetime of working in noisy environments has done no favour's to my hearing, so I listen to the most convenient and the one with the widest choice, all my music on a NAS drive, and Spotify to broaden my listening.

I can see the attraction of owning and coveting old vinyl, but you can't beat digital for convenience and choice when it comes to listening.

I sold all my vinyl to a record collector store, far too cheaply but it was just gathering dust in the loft and I had bike bits to buy.

I still have a decent CD collection, I may have to consider selling that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Surely that is just your opinion, to me I struggle to tell the difference between LP, CD and MP3, a lifetime of working in noisy environments has done no favour's to my hearing, so I listen to the most convenient and the one with the widest choice, all my music on a NAS drive, and Spotify to broaden my listening.

I can see the attraction of owning and coveting old vinyl, but you can't beat digital for convenience and choice when it comes to listening.

I sold all my vinyl to a record collector store, far too cheaply but it was just gathering dust in the loft and I had bike bits to buy.

Not opinion the known data on what the different formats are capable of recording is well published. MP3 is well down the pecking order.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Old news.

Back in the mid 90's I had a 6 CD player mounted in the boot of my car. Around then I also recorded all my vinyl to CD via the PC. I would often be out the room when recording the vinyl and so the PC would record the bit where the needle reaches the end then clicks off. Well I had not edited this out on all the CDs I created as the music software was basic back then.

Driving to Wales and one such CD comes on and reaches the bit where the needle scrubs across and clicks off. I pull over into a layby and ask my mate if he can change the LP over in the boot. Oh how we laughed when he got back in having looked in the boot.

Last edited:
beyond-retro-label-mens-button-front-leather-jacket-1-E00459111_500x.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Digital makes guesses at what the sound was doing between the samples. It provides an approximation. MP3 sounds shoot compared to vinyl.

I'd say discrete measurements rather than guesses, but it's "irrelevant". Vinyl lost out to cassettes decades ago, and they were ghastly things.

Most people just don't care about the quality of vinyl. They do care about convenience of media for purchase and use. Decent bitrate MP3 files tick both boxes.
Afraid you are the niche.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'd say discrete measurements rather than guesses, but it's "irrelevant". Vinyl lost out to cassettes decades ago, and they were ghastly things.

Most people just don't care about the quality of vinyl. They do care about convenience of media for purchase and use. Decent bitrate MP3 files tick both boxes.
Afraid you are the niche.
I'm happy to be the 'niche'. Each to his own... (in my case over 1300 vinyl albums) :dance:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish

The guy on my local record stall in Bedford market no longer buys in CDs. The ones he has he sells at £1 each or 10 for a fiver... and still nobody wants them.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Odelay and Doolittle, Fab albums.

Recently ordered Odelay off the interweb. It is as fab as I remembered it. It does not have 'Soy un perdidor", but it's great all the way through. So why couldnt I but it at HMV? My local branch has a lot of vinyl, but no Beck. Another great LP was Just Can't Stop It by the Beat. I can't find that down HMV neither.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Recently ordered Odelay off the interweb. It is as fab as I remembered it. It does not have 'Soy un perdidor", but it's great all the way through. So why couldnt I but it at HMV? My local branch has a lot of vinyl, but no Beck. Another great LP was Just Can't Stop It by the Beat. I can't find that down HMV neither.
You may not be able to find it at HMV but they can order it in for you. Even better, if you have a local indie record store, order from them.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Had to Google the Spanish phrase. I don't think that track was on the album. (Google tells me it was on 'Mellow Gold')

I'm disappointed in Beck as he has long been involved in scientology. :sad:

Top Bottom