Vinyl suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Nope, it has no idea what the amplitude was between samples, so it has to guess. There is no intermediate measurement. MP3 sound quality is poor, but if you have cloth ears I guess it doesn't matter.

Oops, hadn't read your post properly (my eyes are worse than my ears?).
Agree amplitude is unknown between samples. But the sampling rate *should* be high enough that the 'guessing' doesn't affect audible frequencies.

There are some terrible MP3 files around, but that's a problem of further data compression rather than anything do so with sampling.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I was thinking about getting some vinyl. I got rid of most of my LPs when I was younger, which I sort of regret, especially my Marillion Fugazi album. I've bought a few since, but I wonder what else I might get.

So far I am considering:
  • Doolittle - The Pixies
  • The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death - The Housemartins
  • Odelay - Beck
  • War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne
  • The Violent Femmes - The Violent Femmes
Maybe some American blue grass, because I've been listening to some Earl Scruggs lately. Which is Joan Baez's best album?

I've just started rebuilding my vinyl collection after a long time, too much moving around. In the 6 months I've bought -

Nirvana - Nevermind, Live at the Paramount.
Ultravox - Vienna, Lament, Return to Eden
David Bowie - Low
Lots of Depeche Mode stuff including their limited edition boxsets

Many others too numerous to mention. Try and get the 180gm vinyl, the sound's way better.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Every album collection has to have Dark Side of the Moon and Hotel California. They are not optional, it doesn't matter if you enjoy them. They are just the rules.

That was the first album I bought! With a voucher from Brashs.

You will have to elaborate.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Got The Beat's I Just Can't Stop It in the post yesterday. It's just as good as I remember it, but I had to get a 2nd hand copy. This is one of the best LPs ever imho, but you can't buy it new. Another LP you can't seem to buy new is Violent Femmes by the Violent Femmes. This is a superb album. If you can't buy this new down HMV there is something wrong in the world.

@cookiemonster the band I was a member of a few years ago was on the same bill as support for ultravox , midge was a real down to earth bloke sat and chat for ages with us, as was billie currie.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've just started rebuilding my vinyl collection after a long time, too much moving around. In the 6 months I've bought -

David Bowie - Low

Many others too numerous to mention. Try and get the 180gm vinyl, the sound's way better.

I used to have Low on cassette I think. I thought it only had one (very) good track, but maybe your opinion is different. My brother was into Depeche Mode, but then he was into Sade, Yazoo and Michael Jackson. There was just no helping the poor bastard.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Looking into my record collection, I still want to get Violent Femmes by Violent Femmes, The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death by the House Martins, Definitely Maybe by Oasis and Parklife by Blur.

David Bowie - Low

I got Ultra and Violator by DM recently, sound ace cranked up on my newish Rega P3.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes my cycling buddy and I compared three albums he has on CD and vinyl and we agreed that CD sounds sharper but vinyl more mellow, if that makes sense.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Gotta love the claimed comparisons between vinyl, CD and digital media... I prefer vinyl for one reason and that's because the cover is bigger. Why have 5x5" artwork when you can have 12" square?

This...
e9f9eb22-45aa-11e5-8ec3-908da5f5f503.jpg

...on CD is a travesty!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes my cycling buddy and I compared three albums he has on CD and vinyl and we agreed that CD sounds sharper but vinyl more mellow, if that makes sense.
One thing that's really struck me since getting back into vinyl is how much vinyl varies, compared to CD. Pretty much all CDs are pretty much impeccable for sound quality - which is to say clarity, 'sharpness', crispness; some vinyl - even undamaged vinyl - not so much. Add wear & tear and some vinyl gets really quite porridgy compared to CD, or even (the horror! the horror!) MP3.

However....get the right record, and vinyl can at least match CD for all that clarity, 'sharpness', crispness stuff, while delivering so much more in terms of - IMHO - two things: one, sound stage..which is to say the positioning of instruments in the air - the trumpet exactly there, the bass player just behind him, over his left shoulder; and, second, a sound quality quite hard to put your finger on but undeniable to experience, which isn't about clarity as such, but about something you grapple to describe using words like timbre and richness and roundness.

As to the OP's 'wondering what else I might get', I would have thought the answer was obvious: music you enjoy. I feel lucky that my favourite genre - small group jazz - plays absolutely to vinyl's particular strengths. But at the end of the day it's all just reproduction. It's the music that matters.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
One thing that's really struck me since getting back into vinyl is how much vinyl varies, compared to CD. Pretty much all CDs are pretty much impeccable for sound quality - which is to say clarity, 'sharpness', crispness; some vinyl - even undamaged vinyl - not so much. Add wear & tear and some vinyl gets really quite porridgy compared to CD, or even (the horror! the horror!) MP3.

However....get the right record, and vinyl can at least match CD for all that clarity, 'sharpness', crispness stuff, while delivering so much more in terms of - IMHO - two things: one, sound stage..which is to say the positioning of instruments in the air - the trumpet exactly there, the bass player just behind him, over his left shoulder; and, second, a sound quality quite hard to put your finger on but undeniable to experience, which isn't about clarity as such, but about something you grapple to describe using words like timbre and richness and roundness.

As to the OP's 'wondering what else I might get', I would have thought the answer was obvious: music you enjoy. I feel lucky that my favourite genre - small group jazz - plays absolutely to vinyl's particular strengths. But at the end of the day it's all just reproduction. It's the music that matters.
A lot of the differences between Vinyl and Digital music is down to the recording and mastering mediums used not to mention the skills of the recording/mixing engineers, google 'Loudness wars'.

The other consideration is how much you can afford to spend on a reproducing device, you can get a reasonable CD player for a couple of hundred quid whereas a Turntable for that money will sound pretty dire. There is also the need that to site a Turntable is far more critical than a digital player which you can plonk down virtually anywhere.

Top Bottom