Virgin Media

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the absence of a BT landline at home and wanting a broadband connection, we're about to get a Virgin Media fibre optic deal (probably 2MB as we're unlikely to use it much other than general surfing).

Are there any horror stories out there which are worth being aware of?

S

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Horror stories in what sense? Installation? There are plenty of people who bitterly complain about STM and Phorm. On the other hand Virgin Media is the fastest broadband supplier for browsing. Also if you get it, you may be in for a nice surprise later this year :biggrin:.

Carwash

Señor Member
marinyork said:
There are plenty of people who bitterly complain about STM and Phorm.

This is exactly why I would not go with Virgin broadband. If that doesn't bother you though, then I've not really heard anything much else bad about them.

dudi

same as Lee.
used to have problems with NTL at my wife's old house. but since we moved and got Virgin Media they've been nothing but excellent. (they seem to have improved customer service since dicky branson took over)
Although they did try to hike my bill up by £20 a month after 12 months. but I just had to tell them I wanted to keep the same price but would be happy to increase by £2 a month to cover inflation. they were OK with that in the end.

The only gripe I have is that I have the HD box and the biggest telly pack, and they only have oneHD channel available!! even though there are 3 or 4 being broadcast now.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's been fine for us, although yesterday we had a complete internet/tv outage. got through (to india ;)) and was told it was a known fault, and would be fixed by 5:30. all was well again about half an hour later.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dudi said:
same as Lee.
used to have problems with NTL at my wife's old house. but since we moved and got Virgin Media they've been nothing but excellent. (they seem to have improved customer service since dicky branson took over)
Although they did try to hike my bill up by £20 a month after 12 months. but I just had to tell them I wanted to keep the same price but would be happy to increase by £2 a month to cover inflation. they were OK with that in the end.

The only gripe I have is that I have the HD box and the biggest telly pack, and they only have oneHD channel available!! even though there are 3 or 4 being broadcast now.

There are over 30 HD channels now and depending on who you believe maybe about 40 by the end of 2009. However it really depends whether you believe Mr Burkett and his promises whether four HD channels will appear on VM by 23:59 on the 31st of March :wacko:.

Funtboy

simon_adams_uk said:
In the absence of a BT landline at home and wanting a broadband connection, we're about to get a Virgin Media fibre optic deal (probably 2MB as we're unlikely to use it much other than general surfing).

Are there any horror stories out there which are worth being aware of?

S

Nope. I pay a tenner a month for 2MB and it's been great.

oscar

If you get the broadband and phone, make sure you check your phone bill, the cheeky blighters where putting on calls that i know i never made (car auction place in wales) I know i never made those calls because 1, can't drive 2,never got round to getting a house phone (ferret took it away to it's potty so it got chucked)

col

Legendary Member
Iv had virgin since they took ntl over and have had no problems to speak of.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Had Virgin Media at the old place, and would have kept it if we didn't live in an uncabled area. Their watch again/on demand stuff was excellent, customer service was good, and broadband reliable and fast. (Not been with them for over a year now though).

Melvil

I've had a fairly up and down experience with Virgin Media. The cable broadband is reliable (if slow) and the TV has good options, though the standard one has less channels than sky, I think.

Also, a short while after we had had it installed we had a wee technical fault with the broadband and I phoned up their technical support (not cheap, I can tell you) and I got the most patronising, offensive, annoying person I have ever spoken to in all of my dealings with the service sector. I can't believe I didn't make a complaint about him, I really can't. I must have been in shock.

Top Bottom