Virtual Training Partner(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biking4Heart

Regular
There are plenty of connections made in regards to just about any topic you can come up with.

Realizing a majority of who is on here is on the other side of the Atlantic... I thought it would be fun to connect with someone who is in the same boat as I am.... develop a friendship, help motivate each other... maybe even compete against each other... to try and do better next ride out.

To keep things fairly close for all involved here is a "criteria" list... if you will, this way we all start off at the same level.

Criteria #1 - Someone who has just started / restarted cycling after a prolonged break.
Criteria #2 - Biking for Heart Health reasons. (Mine HBP).
Criteria #3 - Age. Me being 55, turning 56 in August.... I'd like to keep the age as 50+.

I'm currently needing to get other things resolved. So, My tentative Start Date is August 1, 2018.

Gives us a little over a month to get everyone established... If this post goes the way I'd like to see it go.

Thanks for reading.... Take Care.
Alan

Slick

Guru
Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I don't qualify under your criteria, but it sounds like it could be a good motivator for those who need it.

Hopefully you will post your progress and any improvement you see.:thumbsup:

CXRAndy

Guru
There are plenty of connections made in regards to just about any topic you can come up with.

Realizing a majority of who is on here is on the other side of the Atlantic... I thought it would be fun to connect with someone who is in the same boat as I am.... develop a friendship, help motivate each other... maybe even compete against each other... to try and do better next ride out.

To keep things fairly close for all involved here is a "criteria" list... if you will, this way we all start off at the same level.

Criteria #1 - Someone who has just started / restarted cycling after a prolonged break.
Criteria #3 - Age. Me being 55, turning 56 in August.... I'd like to keep the age as 50+.

I'm currently needing to get other things resolved. So, My tentative Start Date is August 1, 2018.

Gives us a little over a month to get everyone established... If this post goes the way I'd like to see it go.

Alan

Hi Alan

If you're talking about indoor training then yes there are quite a few from the USA. @Randyberlin (Alaska), @JLaw (not sure locale) They regularly join in Zwift and Bkool racing. Obviously you will race/train in the mornings, Uk riders evening. Just getting back into riding then steady endurance initially for a few months to build a base again. Then onto Zwift racing, various categories A-D. Most of us are 50+ and trying to hold onto what we thought was youth from a few years ago :smile: Look at the Bkool splitter thread here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/

Also the look at the touring meet ups thread, Randy Berlin very recently made a trip to the UK to meet up with a few of us whilst he toured parts of the UK.

There is a big social element and a fair bit of leg pulling in the forum I listed. If you need any tips just pipe up and ask

Andy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biking4Heart

Biking4Heart

Regular
Hi Alan

If you're talking about indoor training then yes there are quite a few from the USA. @Randyberlin (Alaska), @JLaw (not sure locale) They regularly join in Zwift and Bkool racing. Obviously you will race/train in the mornings, Uk riders evening. Just getting back into riding then steady endurance initially for a few months to build a base again. Then onto Zwift racing, various categories A-D. Most of us are 50+ and trying to hold onto what we thought was youth from a few years ago :smile: Look at the Bkool splitter thread here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/

Also the look at the touring meet ups thread, Randy Berlin very recently made a trip to the UK to meet up with a few of us whilst he toured parts of the UK.

There is a big social element and a fair bit of leg pulling in the forum I listed. If you need any tips just pipe up and ask

Andy
Thanks for the feedback Andy....
I'll have to check it out

Tin Pot

Guru

Alan

I don’t meet your criteria, but you are welcome here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/structured-training-in-2018.229025/

And if you’re using TrainerRoad, here:
https://www.trainerroad.com/teams/7264-cc-forum-

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Thank You for the invite Tin Pot.

I'll keep the reference for when I get myself in gear.
If you want to get into indoor training you might want to check out the BigRingVR (BRVR) Goats League thread or the generic BRVR thread on this forum. Plenty of rides on both sides of the Atlantic, quite a few "oldies" (me included) taking part and stunning quality videos. On the Goats league you post your time, "compete" against other members and generally have the mick taken out of you. A very friendly bunch:okay:
There's no group riding in BRVR yet but that is planned for later this year.

Alan O

Über Member

Alan
Hi Alan,

Firstly, you do realise that it is *you* who is on the other side of the Atlantic, not us, don't you? :tongue:

On your criteria, I came back to cycling a couple of years ago after a 20-year break, heart health is a big part of it (I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass nearly 12 years ago), and I'm 59 (60 in September).

But after that, I'm not sure what you want. From the replies, I presume it's people to tie up with some fake indoor cycling technology (which is fine if you like that kind of thing), which would rule me out - there are far too many real open roads out there for me to want to pretend I'm riding them on a computer.

But if I misunderstand and you're looking for like-minded cyclists who can encourage each other with our individual progress out there on real roads, that might be different.

Best,
Another Alan

I read the OP as wanting a virtual partner for on road training, rather than a partner for virtual training.

It's probably worth specifying ..

JLaw

Veteran
Hi Alan

Andy
I'm in Utah. Struggling with motivation after the PE and due to the temporary shutdown of zwiftpower.

Top Bottom