Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
From the marginally successful thread last year, I thought I’d do the same this year:

Following training plans can be a bit isolated (was for me last year anyway!) so I thought I'd start a thread we can all talk about the plans we're following, challenges and successes.

Post here what you're doing and any questions you have. :smile:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/structured-training-in-2017.212184/

It’s 2018 now, I had a mixed bag in 2017 following the TrainerRoad Full Iron Distance Triathlon Medium and High Volume Plans, this year I’m paying back and starting off with the Olympic Triathlon Low Volume plan.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Last year started with FTP below 200, ended at 230 in July, 240W outdoor tester. This year I’m starting at 214W :smile:

8EE49022-FD7E-4A2D-B8D1-A7637B0E4D7A.jpeg

Hi,

Up until three weeks ago I felt I was going well with my training plan but I came down with the flu just before Christmas so things went awry for a while but judging by my last turbo session (which was more powerful than before flu) I feel like I'm back on track.

Oh and as to the year my principle aim was to go under 25mins for a 10 miles TT, I did 5 times, the last time being a 23.57:smile: I think I could have done it more regularly but most courses I done were irregular distance sporting courses.
Longer distances were a bit problematic as I suffered with the Ulnar nerve however. So this winter I've changed the bars to ones with J bends. Hopefully that'll work or I'll be sticking to 10s or sporting courses.

Last edited:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
As I said last year, I'm not good at sticking to plans unless I've devised them myself - and I proved that by starting two and not finishing either of them.

What I did do for the last 3 months of 2017 (but only because I'd had a break during the summer and was behind with my mileage target) was to ride 5 days a week instead of 4 and to increase the usual length of the rides. As a result, I finished the year with the highest FTP and CTL I've ever had, and it didn't make me feel too tired to want to continue. I also switched from Bkool to Zwift, and found that I couldn't resist pushing much harder on the hills than I'd usually do on the turbo. I'm sure that played a big part in improving the FTP, and also gave me my best ever 5 and 8 minute power figures.

The temptation is to carry on with what I'm doing, which can't be called a plan because each ride is decided on the day. But there's a little internal voice that keeps whispering that if I did less miles, and upped the level of effort, I'd be working on my weaknesses and I might improve more. I might even finally achieve my dream of an FTP over 200 watts.

@Tin Pot s 40+ watt improvement is inspiring, but I'm not going to start using TrainerRoad because a) I already subscribe to two programs, and I think that's enough, and b) It's not a system that's ever made me think "This will work for me". Don't know why not, but there it is. If I don't have faith in it, I'm bound to fail.

What I want is a plan that holds my attention, doesn't make me feel that I can't cope with the level of effort required, and lets me see (or at least, suggests the possibility of) improvements pretty quickly. I'm sure that's what all of us are looking for.

With the best of intentions, but no real belief that I'll see it through, I've decided to have a go at Zwift's 4 week FTP booster plan, but there's a lot of recovery rides in it. I'm sure that's for good reasons but I don't like riding so slow, so it might be too annoying to follow exactly. I might have to substitute a "ride like I want to" session now and again, which could mean I'll be too tired to manage the difficult stuff. I'll start on the 8th January, and see how far I get.

Plan for 2018

Belfast marathon May Day18
Dublin 1/2 Iron Man 18th August
Dublin marathon October 18

Working on loosing 2 stone atm with a bit better eating, wattbike sessions and upping the running.

It was very hard balancing out running and Cycling last year which is a big aim this year to keep both going well at the same time.

mythste

Veteran
So far this year has been good. By this year I do indeed mean the last 10 days, but lets look at the silver lining.

Tonight will be day 8 of Zwifts "4 week FTP builder" workout. I find the hour or so in an evening manageable and I've made some dietary changes - most notably less sugar before rides and immediate protein after working out - that seem to keep my energy levels and recovery manageable as well.

The only thing I do seem to be suffering with spending so much time (relatively) on the turbo is sore feet! my feet are flatter than a ducks, and whilst it's not so much an issue whilst out on the bike where I can move around, being seated and pedaling continuously for an hour plus is calling for some research into insoles!

mythste

Veteran
As I said last year, I'm not good at sticking to plans unless I've devised them myself - and I proved that by starting two and not finishing either of them.

What I did do for the last 3 months of 2017 (but only because I'd had a break during the summer and was behind with my mileage target) was to ride 5 days a week instead of 4 and to increase the usual length of the rides. As a result, I finished the year with the highest FTP and CTL I've ever had, and it didn't make me feel too tired to want to continue. I also switched from Bkool to Zwift, and found that I couldn't resist pushing much harder on the hills than I'd usually do on the turbo. I'm sure that played a big part in improving the FTP, and also gave me my best ever 5 and 8 minute power figures.

The temptation is to carry on with what I'm doing, which can't be called a plan because each ride is decided on the day. But there's a little internal voice that keeps whispering that if I did less miles, and upped the level of effort, I'd be working on my weaknesses and I might improve more. I might even finally achieve my dream of an FTP over 200 watts.

@Tin Pot s 40+ watt improvement is inspiring, but I'm not going to start using TrainerRoad because a) I already subscribe to two programs, and I think that's enough, and b) It's not a system that's ever made me think "This will work for me". Don't know why not, but there it is. If I don't have faith in it, I'm bound to fail.

What I want is a plan that holds my attention, doesn't make me feel that I can't cope with the level of effort required, and lets me see (or at least, suggests the possibility of) improvements pretty quickly. I'm sure that's what all of us are looking for.

With the best of intentions, but no real belief that I'll see it through, I've decided to have a go at Zwift's 4 week FTP booster plan, but there's a lot of recovery rides in it. I'm sure that's for good reasons but I don't like riding so slow, so it might be too annoying to follow exactly. I might have to substitute a "ride like I want to" session now and again, which could mean I'll be too tired to manage the difficult stuff. I'll start on the 8th January, and see how far I get.

are you measuring cadence on the sessions? one of the big things for me is that zwift suggests a much higher cadence than I would normally ride, that in itself turns even the recovery rides into a good stretch.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
are you measuring cadence on the sessions? one of the big things for me is that zwift suggests a much higher cadence than I would normally ride, that in itself turns even the recovery rides into a good stretch.
I am, and it's harder than keeping to the power levels :sweat:.
Three days in, and during and immediately after the rides my legs are sore and aching. I'm fine next morning, though.
I'm sure I could do the power easier at my preferred cadence, but the on-screen instructions say "pedal faster", so I try to do as I'm told.
I'm using Erg mode in Zwift, which means I can let the power take care of itself and concentrate on the cadence. If it wasn't for Erg, I wouldn't have a chance of keeping things on target.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I was probably averaging 75 rm before TrainerRoad now I workout* above 90rpm. Initially it was very hard to do, now I can got over 110rpm without ‘losing form’ for a while.

Outdoors is another story, I can be up to 100 on the flat but grind up hills below 60 :sad: Too heavy. :sad:

Edit: * Interval sessions. Steady state I’m between 80-95rpm to hit the power targets.

Last edited:

mythste

Veteran
I am, and it's harder than keeping to the power levels :sweat:.
Three days in, and during and immediately after the rides my legs are sore and aching. I'm fine next morning, though.
I'm sure I could do the power easier at my preferred cadence, but the on-screen instructions say "pedal faster", so I try to do as I'm told.
I'm using Erg mode in Zwift, which means I can let the power take care of itself and concentrate on the cadence. If it wasn't for Erg, I wouldn't have a chance of keeping things on target.

I'm exactly the same. Simply staring at the cadence measure and keeping my pegs spinning!

Whats really interesting is seeing my average power creep up over the series. Only 5 watts or so per session, but interesting never the less.

Did last night at 105% as I was feeling good!

kipster

Guru
After mooching around on zwift before Christmas, this thread made me go back to TR, but rather than just look at the graph I'm running zwift alongside it so I have something a bit more interesting to look at. No real plan in mind other than to keep fitness up and be ready for the club Majorca trip in March. I'm doing the sustained power build plan.

mythste

Veteran
Whats a realistic FTP increase over 12 months if you really gun it - having done no structured training previously and quite frankly a flopped 2017? I'm at 224 at the moment. Would 300 by the end of the year be achievable do we think? It would be nice to have a goal.

huwsparky

Über Member
Whats a realistic FTP increase over 12 months if you really gun it - having done no structured training previously and quite frankly a flopped 2017? I'm at 224 at the moment. Would 300 by the end of the year be achievable do we think? It would be nice to have a goal.
If you've been a regular cyclist for years, you won't get to 300w from where you are in a year as you're probably at your plateau. 300w to a 75kg person is pretty much achievable to anyone who sets their mind to it. The key to any plan you set yourself is consistency. No point doing a 3 month TR plan or whatever and then letting it all slip when your urge to completing the workouts isn't there. 10% in a year would be a good benchmark imo.

Top Bottom