Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I started cycling seriously about 8 years ago, quite late in life at 48, pushed it hard to see what I could do, but I've never had much structure to it. I tend to do everything flat out - with a 35 - 50 mile loop being my comfort zone. I've been far too erratic, capable of doing 400 miles in 3 weeks and then 60 in the next month.

Over the winter I've traditionally mixed some road riding with sitting on a gym bike, again with little structure and again pushing everything very hard.

I've just got a smart trainer and am doing one of the training plans on zwift, an ftp builder. I've been frustrated by the limitations it places on me, for recovery between sessions and for specific rest days, which is difficult to fit into my work and personal life, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the variety of sessions. I'm also surprised that some of the sessions can be quite challenging without pushing so hard. Today for instance was a foundation session 3mins at 190 watts, 5 mins at 155w, 2 mins at 115w and repeat 5 times. With 10 min warm-up and the same for cool-down that was an hour and 10 minutes in total. It gives me longer warm-ups and cool-downs than I normally do.

The proof will be whether it works, but I'm now at the beginning of week 4 out of 5.

I've decided my interests lie in audax events, so if I can reach my first event in the spring fitter and lighter than I did this year that will be worth it.

Brilliant!

I was smitten by the Audax bug two seasons ago and I’m slowly chipping away. I also started using a turbo a year ago. I am not familiar with Zwift, but if flexibility is a restriction, TrainerRoad is fantastic due to its calendar function and plethora of programs and workouts which can fit into almost anyone’s life.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Another session of AC intervals. Quite late today as had to let Boxing day four course meal go down. Structured plan starts next week.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A set of Lactate Threshold intervals of low volume. Went well and my economy seems to be improving. Plan now is a 2-3 hour ride tomorrow then I will do an AC retest followed by a FTP retest on New Years Eve. Then I will be all set to kick off my 2019 structured training on the 2nd or 3rd of Jan.

Did a 30 second plank today. Next years plan includes strength build and maintain phases. My core is rubbish so I am starting to address that in the new plan.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
About 2.5 hours out on the recumbent. There are eight hills on the circuit soma good opportunity to get the heart rate up then relax once it flattens again. Nice and quiet out there with just a few vehicles and road cyclists coming the opposite way.

Then a 30 second plank after my shower.

Top Bottom