Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Can anyone masticate and spit out for me the difference between ERG mode and RESISTANCE please?

I have been using my Kickr Snap in ERG mode for nearly a year. I have only just read that you should be taking your FTP Ramp Test in resistance mode, then they recommend you do your training in ERG mode as you don’t have to concentrate much. I am aware that in ERG, the slower you pedal the more resistance the machine generates so you are keeping to your target power. In resistance mode you will have to shift gears or pedal faster to generate the higher power target numbers.

That’s all I understand. In this 5 minutes I am really enjoying resistance mode although you need more brain power to stay on target which isn’t mindfully as relaxing, but I find it physically more enjoyable. I am just worried I am losing out on the quality of the workout.

Thanks.
In ERG mode the trainer sticks to a power figure, you pedal as fast or as slow as your like but the trainer will take care of the resistance keeping it as whatever it needs to be for whatever power output chosen (If that makes sense).

In theory, if you did an FTP test in erg mode the power would be whatever you set it to in ERG.

What can I achieve at 63 kg then? I’m 230 now but due a re-test.
Its not scientific but at my peak last year, a 62kg 41 year old hit 255w so you can do at least that and, I hope its not my ceiling however.

Milzy

Guru
Its not scientific but at my peak last year, a 62kg 41 year old hit 255w so you can do at least that and, I hope its not my ceiling however.
I need to do a test but I might try a ramp test instead of 20 mins one. There’s also the 10 min one.

I need to do a test but I might try a ramp test instead of 20 mins one. There’s also the 10 min one.
My coach used to base his training plans around a 5mins test but I'm not sure the relation ship to FTP. He had me going off an FTP of 265w when my 5mins best was 332w with virtual power (80%). A real power meter has only recorded 313w so by 80%, FTP = 250w which isn't far off the 255w from the 20mins test (4.3w / kg) :wacko:

huwsparky

Über Member
My coach used to base his training plans around a 5mins test but I'm not sure the relation ship to FTP. He had me going off an FTP of 265w when my 5mins best was 332w with virtual power (80%). A real power meter has only recorded 313w so by 80%, FTP = 250w which isn't far off the 255w from the 20mins test (4.3w / kg) :wacko:
Get another coach.

OnTheRopes

Regular
I have not tried the ramp test yet, but Dr Stephen Lane who has been working on this does himself say it is good to use as a strategy for pacing for the 20 minute test so therefore not necessarily to replace the 20 minute test.
One of it's advantages I guess is that is is seen as easier so therefore more likely that people will repeat it, though my personal experience of doing a lab based VO2 max ramp test was that it is not so pleasant.
The other thing he says is you need to do a test for the trainer and a test for the road and you can't really do a ramp test on the road.

CXRAndy

Guru
i like the ramp test. It stops you going out too hard compared to non erg 20 min test. You're lead into the test with pre fatigue steps. Then as you reach your ftp step, the real work begins. Hold on then, and try to keep consistent pace . Once you've got to 120,130,140 and if lucky 150% of ftp, every part of your body will be crying to stop.

Nebulous

Guru
I started cycling seriously about 8 years ago, quite late in life at 48, pushed it hard to see what I could do, but I've never had much structure to it. I tend to do everything flat out - with a 35 - 50 mile loop being my comfort zone. I've been far too erratic, capable of doing 400 miles in 3 weeks and then 60 in the next month.

Over the winter I've traditionally mixed some road riding with sitting on a gym bike, again with little structure and again pushing everything very hard.

I've just got a smart trainer and am doing one of the training plans on zwift, an ftp builder. I've been frustrated by the limitations it places on me, for recovery between sessions and for specific rest days, which is difficult to fit into my work and personal life, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the variety of sessions. I'm also surprised that some of the sessions can be quite challenging without pushing so hard. Today for instance was a foundation session 3mins at 190 watts, 5 mins at 155w, 2 mins at 115w and repeat 5 times. With 10 min warm-up and the same for cool-down that was an hour and 10 minutes in total. It gives me longer warm-ups and cool-downs than I normally do.

The proof will be whether it works, but I'm now at the beginning of week 4 out of 5.

I've decided my interests lie in audax events, so if I can reach my first event in the spring fitter and lighter than I did this year that will be worth it.

Top Bottom