Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive not done much structured training in the last 3-4 months :-(
I still haven't done much but I've a session tomorrow night its the same out doors session I did last week on the heavy Triban commuter and in between a TT. It was nothing special but I almost felt back to normal first lap (just a tad under powered). I got hit by a side wind though which knocked my confidence on the 2nd causing me to be to anxious and by time I got the confidence back it was over.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/25498129

Chappy

Guru
I have ridden the Dartmoor Classic now so have put the structured training on hold for a few months. I want to ride my bike for a while with no data or specific target in mind to remind myself why i love cycling so much.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hi guys! I'm doing a bit of market research into what cyclists (of all ages and abilities) look for in a training plan and I'm hoping you guys will be able to answer some questions for me, all feedback is greatly appreciated and will hopefully benefit you guys in the long run!

1: if you had to pick ONE factor that you would want to see improve as a result of a plan, what would it be? (e.g. lactate threshold, FTP, power:weight ratio etc)
2: how much would you be willing to spend on an annual training plan?
3: what features would you like to see in a plan? (e.g. ability to design plans for multiple events across the season rather than one at a time?)
4: what do you think current plans are missing?
5: how personal are the current plans you are on? are they tailored to you specifically or just the event, goal etc?

Thanks guys, I have been checking out this page loads and you all seem really friendly and responsive so I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts!

Cheers

It would be interesting to know more from you. You may get a warmer response. Briefly, in answer to your fairly open/vague questions:

1/ FTP and you can calculate most things from there. Don’t you need to be hooked into an oxygen device to measure lactate threshold?

2/Not annual because I want rest periods and a summer on the bike. £8/month max

3/None of these. I’m no coach and lack the know how. If I’m paying for a service I want YOU to do the leg work.

4/ I’m with TR. I can’t find any gaps.

5/ My program is geared towards my interest in Audax. This winter, just to try something different I may try the triathlon program. Purely for fun and to increase the torture.

Hope that helps. More of a background of YOU will help with response and help build a rapport. And reply to those who bother to help in your research. Good luck.

Last edited:

FGSMM205

It would be interesting to know more from you. You may get a warmer response. Briefly, in answer to your fairly open/vague questions:

1/ FTP and you can calculate most things from there. Don’t you need to be hooked into an oxygen device to measure lactate threshold?

2/Not annual because I want rest periods and a summer on the bike. £8/month max

3/None of these. I’m no coach and lack the know how. If I’m paying fir a service I want YOU to do the leg work.

4/ I’m with TR. I can’t find any gaps.

5/ My program is geared towards my interest in Audax. This winter, just to try something different I may try the triathlon program. Purely for fun and to increase the torture.

Hope that helps. More of a background of YOU will help with response and help build a rapport. And reply to those who bother to help in your research. Good luck.

Hey Heltor, thanks for the response, much appreciated.
I am a recent graduate of the University of Birmingham, I'm interning for a fitness company this summer before I start an MSc back in Birmingham. My company is interested in the current market of cycling training plans as we feel that it is an industry led by very few companies and something we would like to break in to. Our goal is to create training plans based on the *individual* rather than just the goal, taking into account things such as diet, working/childcare commitments, having multiple events to be training for etc. For example, a single parent working 9-5 may not have the time to clock up 100 mile weeks and so we are looking at alternative methods of improving desired physiological variables that have significant and substantial scientific evidence behind them. I hope this clears up where I am coming from!

Thanks for answering, if you have any more ideas or suggestions of what you would want out of a training plan then please do let me know!

Thanks and have a great day!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am a recent graduate of the University of Birmingham, I'm interning for a fitness company this summer before I start an MSc back in Birmingham. My company is interested in the current market of cycling training plans as we feel that it is an industry led by very few companies and something we would like to break in to. Our goal is to create training plans based on the *individual* rather than just the goal, taking into account things such as diet, working/childcare commitments, having multiple events to be training for etc. For example, a single parent working 9-5 may not have the time to clock up 100 mile weeks and so we are looking at alternative methods of improving desired physiological variables that have significant and substantial scientific evidence behind them. I hope this clears up where I am coming from!

Thanks for answering, if you have any more ideas or suggestions of what you would want out of a training plan then please do let me know!

That sounds like an amazing placement. I am self employed and a single dad to two children so time is poor. Structured training is ideal for me on an indoor smart trainer as I can still do some family duties while on the bike.

Structured training to me represents quality over volume and time which for me is ideal. I like to see my schedule and I like to pick apart my results and see a representation of my progress.

I like TrainerRoad in most ways except for the fact if I need to juggle stuff around. So in a a week proceeding an Audax at the weekend I like to do lower intensity rides rather than the scheduled hard sessions. I also may want a week of recovery rides after this events. It would be cool if I could schedule these sessions before hand, but all you can do is not do them and come back to the schedule when you are done.

I like TR’s new feature where you can add your outdoor rides to your career and monitor your FTP improvements etc.

huwsparky

Über Member

Exactly what kind of company are we talking about?

Effectively, the service you're talking about providing is a coaching service of which a training plan is as part of. Nothing new here, there are plenty of coaching companies for cycling, triathlon etc which would obviously be working on the basis of time available to train taking into account all the issues you highlight above. The main problem you'd have in taking my money off me is I'd rather put my trust/money into a coach who's been there and done it at a proven decent level. What expertise do you have in power data analysis etc?

FGSMM205

That sounds like an amazing placement. I am self employed and a single dad to two children so time is poor. Structured training is ideal for me on an indoor smart trainer as I can still do some family duties while on the bike.

Structured training to me represents quality over volume and time which for me is ideal. I like to see my schedule and I like to pick apart my results and see a representation of my progress.

I like TrainerRoad in most ways except for the fact if I need to juggle stuff around. So in a a week proceeding an Audax at the weekend I like to do lower intensity rides rather than the scheduled hard sessions. I also may want a week of recovery rides after this events. It would be cool if I could schedule these sessions before hand, but all you can do is not do them and come back to the schedule when you are done.

I like TR’s new feature where you can add your outdoor rides to your career and monitor your FTP improvements etc.

Yeah it's a great place to be involved with!
It sounds like you're a busy person, it's admirable that you're able to fit in your training at all.
I agree that seeing the detailed results and progression is great and probably one of the best motivators to carry on training. Do you use a HR monitor on your rides?

What you've mentioned about plan flexibility is a great point, it would be nice to be able to select your event date and then freely move sessions around to days that suit you and your specific requirements.

Thanks again for the replies, Heltor!

FGSMM205

Exactly what kind of company are we talking about?

Effectively, the service you're talking about providing is a coaching service of which a training plan is as part of. Nothing new here, there are plenty of coaching companies for cycling, triathlon etc which would obviously be working on the basis of time available to train taking into account all the issues you highlight above. The main problem you'd have in taking my money off me is I'd rather put my trust/money into a coach who's been there and done it at a proven decent level. What expertise do you have in power data analysis etc?

Hey, huwsparky, thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I am unable to divulge the company under instruction from my seniors.
Rather than offering an entirely new training plan service, we are looking more to serve as a resource that customers could use alongside their training plans which would personalise the plans further rather than just using a bog-standard "FTP boost program" or "improve your average speed program". It would involve lifestyle and physiological measurements that might reveal certain strengths and weaknesses for each individual that they could then use to inform how they train. Essentially: train smarter, not harder.
Hope this clears it up a bit for you!
Thanks
FGSMM205

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Do you use a HR monitor on your rides?!

Yes. I don’t/can’t afford a power meter on my actual bike so I pace myself on long rides of 100-300km with my HRM. These are Audax events so this information is sufficient as well as time and average speed. A power meter would just be really interesting data. Strava gives me power guesstimates. If I was doing TTs, hill climbing or the like, then a power meter would be more important.

The power measurement on my Wahoo Kickr is accurate for the purposes of structured training.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
After July 8th I’ve got until September for the next (and same) race, just a little space to fit in Speciality.

What event are you up for next?

Nothing big till PBP next year. But got an Alps 100 cols in a week tour coming up in Sept. So been finding some long hills to practice pacing up and descending at speed. Plus also been out on the forest main tracks (what might be called gravel riding these days) to improve bike handing and dealing with loose surfaces both climbing and in descent at speed.

So in other words stuff you only get from riding real world stuff and not from a turbo.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Nothing big till PBP next year. But got an Alps 100 cols in a week tour coming up in Sept. So been finding some long hills to practice pacing up and descending at speed. Plus also been out on the forest main tracks (what might be called gravel riding these days) to improve bike handing and dealing with loose surfaces both climbing and in descent at speed.

So in other words stuff you only get from riding real world stuff and not from a turbo.

Sounds great :smile: Would love to ride the Alps some day.

I’m determined to destroy the Hever Castle route so I’m going to ride it or parts of it every week until race day. I might still do one turbo a week as it’s convenient and easier for TT position training.

My interval sessions on the busway on a Tuesday seem to be going well but I much prefer my own continuous Threshold sessions on it and they seem to be going well too. I've been back to sprinting up drags without a tightening of the chest. (Castle Street is the steepest but only 3% for less than a 1/5 of mile). I've been doing that on the heavy Triban. I'd be curious to do it on a lighter bike with a power meter just to see the stats. I might do an adhoc session on the turbo with the power meter next week if it cools down because I am 5 stats junkie :laugh:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
...And I’m back in the room!

Jacks +1 and it’s was quite tough, but not unmanageable. 8min intervals at 105% FTP.

I’m pushing much more watts on my outdoor rides, but the challenge now is to reduce the intensity and smooth out my outdoor rides in preparation for the race.

Each commute ride (2-4 per week) is around 125TSS, I need it more like 90. Will try keeping it below FTP all the way for once, coasting the down hills more often.

Top Bottom