Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chappy

Guru
Lower back gone this afternoon not long after a 10k run. Think it was holding the baby yesterday that strained it. Limped home from work.

Now lying on back on floor at home thinking about doing Dade -1 and the run to swim I’ve planned for tomorrow morning...

...maybe it’s time for some gin based analgaesic.

Take a rest day .You don't want to mess with your lower back. Mine used to go all the time and rushing back into training made it worse for longer .

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Take a rest day .You don't want to mess with your lower back. Mine used to go all the time and rushing back into training made it worse for longer .
Good advice.

THe only reason I’m considering it is because sometimes my bike position actually sorts it out.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Right ho, how are we all doing then?

@Chappy I took the week off as I was practically immobile.

Got back on it on Tuesday, put in a slightly daft triple day on Thursday, 70mins running, 30mins swimming, and 90mins on the turbo...fell apart on the turbo! :laugh:

Last session today and base training is over. :smile:

Chappy

Guru
I am still working through my specialty plan but I have modified it a bit so that the Saturday and Sunday rides are now done outside and I try to get as many hills in as possible. Luckily I live in Dorset so that's not hard.

Right ho, how are we all doing then?

@Chappy I took the week off as I was practically immobile.

Got back on it on Tuesday, put in a slightly daft triple day on Thursday, 70mins running, 30mins swimming, and 90mins on the turbo...fell apart on the turbo! :laugh:

Last session today and base training is over. :smile:
The low intensity stuff I'm doing seems to be bringing back my general fitness but I'm still not great against any resistance. I'll be glad when I get away from the office AC and the pollen season is over and I can get back to breathing normally. The scary thing the docs think I am but above about 80% max HR I don't feel that way :wacko:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Had two weeks ‘rest’ after completing my TR Speciality phase. A 200 Audax and usual school run duties done in that period.

Monday I’ll start Round 2 of my time with TR. I gather I skip the Base Phase and go onto the Build Phase. Still deciding whether I’ll do the Sustained Power Build which I did last time or if I’ll try out the Half or Full Build Triathlon Build for something different. Audax is my cycling interest.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Started Build phase on the Low Vol Half Tri plan.

FTP test. +3W

To say I’m disappointed would be about right. I had this same problem last season - FTP never changed after the first Base phase.

I added 5% to the workout, and finished the last 5 minutes another 20W above target.

I don’t know what to say, the maths adds up so I guess I just need to try harder during testing.

Il try the ramp test at the weekend.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You can change your FTP manually if you think it will benefit you. I did a couple of times when I underperformed on the FTP test.

Today my FTP dropped 3% after a 2 week rest (aside from frequent school run rides and a 200km Audax. It was also very hot and I am post viral after a chest infection. I’m not disappointed.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
FTP test. +3W

To say I’m disappointed would be about right. I had this same problem last season - FTP never changed after the first Base phase.

Il try the ramp test at the weekend.

So! Much happier now 225 —> 243.

AAEFE634-14A6-4A62-A03E-A7D095E70F02.jpeg

243 is higher than my best last year, but as it’s a new protocol we’ll see how it goes but I’m definitely pleased :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Anyone else doing over/unders?

The plan I’m on is the first time I’ve had to do them - wow, what an eye opener!

Interval started at 230W for 2mins and I’m straight away thinking his is going to be hard to hold, steps up to 260W for 1min, now I’m thinking “crikey!”, but a few of these repeated and all of a sudden it becomes easier as your breathing rate settles and I kept his up for the 12mins before the break.

It’s weird, if it had been just a straight 230W 12min interval I think it would have felt harder...

huwsparky

Über Member
Anyone else doing over/unders?

The plan I’m on is the first time I’ve had to do them - wow, what an eye opener!

Interval started at 230W for 2mins and I’m straight away thinking his is going to be hard to hold, steps up to 260W for 1min, now I’m thinking “crikey!”, but a few of these repeated and all of a sudden it becomes easier as your breathing rate settles and I kept his up for the 12mins before the break.

It’s weird, if it had been just a straight 230W 12min interval I think it would have felt harder...
You're not warming up properly.

Top Bottom