Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I think that's with regards to maintaining energy as opposed to recovering beyond what you're used to.

Not the protein point, no. I've listened to a BC nutritionist say the same.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm use TR @Tin Pot .:okay: What level of volume are you following?

I've used low in the past, but have been using mid volume this time around. Just in the first week of the second 6 week block.

I actually enjoy the sweet spot work:training:

Do you listen to the TR podcasts? I'd encourage you to do so as the three main coaches really know their stuff.

Low volume.

I did mid then high last year, and that may have been a negative factor in my poor results - overtraining.

I’m doing the Low Volume Olympic Triathlon Base 4th week of 6. It’s pretty easy tbh, but consistency is the challenge this year and two bikes two swims two runs a week is tricky to maintain.

After a week of skiing I’m then moving on to the Low Half Distance Triathlon Base.

The podcasts are great and make you feel part of a bigger movement too.

mythste

Veteran
did 60 flattish miles (2,500ft of up) yesterday and felt amazing. Was out with some pretty fast guys and the ability to burst the speed up and recover was a lovely sensation that I haven't had in some time. i do put that down to the hours on the Turbo, though maybe I was just having a "good day".

Looking forward to what zwift has in store for me tonight! Not long before my next FTP test... Gulp.

Hello there. What are you eating / drinking for your protein fix? Currently I use Wiggle's own protein drink but I am interested to learn what others use! Thanks :smile:
I'm using SIS but only because they usually do half price offers on their web site and 2 x 1Kg tubs seem to last last better than one 1.6kg. I used to use the Wiggle stuff but I found you had to wash it out straight away or it harden in a rubbery sort of way and sometimes after a hard session I just want to drink and lazily leave washing up til the next day and if I forgot xx( Wiggle were out of stock once and I saw an offer on the SiS rego and IMO it tastes better and there's no problem with forgetting to wash up :okay:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Two bikes on the trot tomorrow and weds to finish the plan I’m on. Not sure I’m gonna make the two runs as well :smile:

si_c

Guru
I'll be starting from Monday I think, I struggle to do the week plans though as I commute 30+miles 5 days a week in addition to the training, plus I have mid week commitments.

I'm rearranging my start times though so I should be home earlier and able to get on.

Last year around April my FTP was about 300, last week zwift re-estimated at about 350, but I put that down mostly to commuting the extra distance with one or two high intensity sessions a week through summer. I'd like to raise that to 400 this year by following a plan properly. I'll probably need a new trainer though as I'm already able to sprint past 900W, and some of the intervals look like they may go higher.

I also need to lose some weight, ideally around 10kg to get to around 84kg.

So that's my plan, albeit late to start.

I'll be starting from Monday I think, I struggle to do the week plans though as I commute 30+miles 5 days a week in addition to the training, plus I have mid week commitments.

I'm rearranging my start times though so I should be home earlier and able to get on.

Last year around April my FTP was about 300, last week zwift re-estimated at about 350, but I put that down mostly to commuting the extra distance with one or two high intensity sessions a week through summer. I'd like to raise that to 400 this year by following a plan properly. I'll probably need a new trainer though as I'm already able to sprint past 900W, and some of the intervals look like they may go higher.

A friend of mine used to commute more days and longer but his coach built training into his commute and it seems to have done wonders.

My turbo has upto 2500w of resistance (the Elite Muin) but I've never been over 630w indoors :heat:

si_c

Guru
A friend of mine used to commute more days and longer but his coach built training into his commute and it seems to have done wonders.
Most days I ride into a headwind both ways, which is good for resistance training, on the way home I often ride with a couple of other lads, both of whom are much lighter and fitter than I, who kill me on the hills, so each one turns into an interval session. That helps I think :laugh:
My turbo has upto 2500w of resistance (the Elite Muin) but I've never been over 630w indoors :heat:

I've only got the Tacx flow, so max resistance is 800 - I can hit that sprinting without too much difficulty - but I bought it to get me through an injury, I didn't think I'd be using it in quite the way I am/plan to. It's likely to be replaced at some point this year - likely with a Tacx Genius.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Feeling good after some skiing and the first VO2max intervals of the year. Last week of Olympic tri Base this week, then a week off so I might do an FTP test on Saturday.

400W FTP @84Kg would be mighty impressive! GL.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I feel like a god amongst men.

DF829AD2-8DF1-45DE-979F-ADF06E7768F8.jpeg

Top Bottom