Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Come on guys and gals it’s just me and 400bhp so far:

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/7264-cc-forum-

I can't see your training on TR pal as you've locked your profile down.

Updated.

Pretty easy stuff so far, a touch less than the 377 TSS/wk last year! :laugh:

Moving up to half/low/base, 243 TSS after a week off.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Swim has improved back to a reasonable rate. The swimsmooth measure CSS 2:17 dropped to 1:55.

Didn’t measure ftp yesterday so will have to wait until next week for my “results”.

Haven’t really tested my running as my ankle is still weak from November.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Those of you with good memories will recall that six weeks ago I said I was going to try Zwift’s 4 Week FTP Booster plan.

I’ve finally finished it.

The plan had 27 sessions in 28 days. I knew I wouldn’t keep to that, and sure enough I found that I had to introduce days of complete rest, as well as doing stuff that wasn’t part of the plan because on some days I didn’t fancy the hard ride that was required.

It’s been interesting and enlightening. I’ve found out a number of things about myself:
  • I don’t have the ability to sustain the high cadences the plan often demands.

• I do have a sprint. It’s not great, but it’s better than I expected.

• I can ride at a high power for far longer than my brain wants me to believe.

• I can push my heart rate higher than I thought was possible, and live to tell the tale.

• I can recover quickly from hard efforts.
And the main thing is…..
  • I can get my FTP over 200 watts, which as a weedy old age pensioner with an artificial hip who only started cycling when I retired a few years ago is something I never imagined I could achieve.
If this thread hadn’t been started, I’d have carried on doing my usual “hard, but not too hard” rides and I’m sure they wouldn’t have got me to where I am today.

So Thank You @Tin Pot. You’ve helped to make an old man very happy.

Now, where do I go from here?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Finally got over the holiday blues and started the next plan.

FTP test went well, though I might’ve got even better but I’m happy being up from 214 to 225 with only 6 weeks light training, 12 rides, a week of skiing and a week off :smile:

C05C209D-F3EC-4B2C-A76B-4D3EE9CD6E92.jpeg

Main focus is running atm. I have the Carlingford half on Saturday hoping for 1hr 50 or below. Only been out on the bike twice this year thank god for the Wattbike. Swimming has been pretty nonexistent atm. With August is coming up quickly.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Ok people - there snow* excuse for not training. Pfft. I was just in the garage putting in 600W 20s intervals, who’s still putting in the hours?

:evil:

*see what I did there? ;)

Breedon

Legendary Member
Come on guys and gals it’s just me and 400bhp so far:

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/7264-cc-forum-

Updated.

Pretty easy stuff so far, a touch less than the 377 TSS/wk last year! :laugh:

Moving up to half/low/base, 243 TSS after a week off.
Requested to join, only seen this post.
Currently doing build phase of the sweet spot high volume 1 on the 3rd week and this morning done Tallac +3 which is 2 hours 5 x 15 minutes with 5 minutes rest at an FTP of 260

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
@Breedon You're in!

Just started my first week of my Speciality Phase (Century Low Level) Two sessions in and sticking to my 205 FTP. I really don't like FTP tests. Horrid things.

Speciality phase is four months away for me whilst I go through base and build. Have you looked at the new FTP test they’ve done, much shorter, like a ramp test. You go harder and harder until you can’t go any harder. About fifteen minutes I think it takes.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Breedon You're in!

Speciality phase is four months away for me whilst I go through base and build. Have you looked at the new FTP test they’ve done, much shorter, like a ramp test. You go harder and harder until you can’t go any harder. About fifteen minutes I think it takes.

No I haven’t seen the new FTP test. I would be interested though. What is it called in their workout list?

I am sceptical about the 20 minute FTP on TR. As a rule I can train on a much higher FTP than the results of the test show. I use my Kickr Snap in erg mode. Mind you: Two days ago I did my assessment after 5 hours on the tools digging and grubbing out tree stumps in the frozen soil. I also had taken down a small Pyrus tree. Not a good day to do it, but that’s what life dictates and sometimes I arrive at an Audax already wiped out from 5 days physical, outdoor work. Somehow I get round.

Breedon

Legendary Member
@Breedon You're in!

I'm going to try that new test when I need to seems better than the 20 minutes test

Top Bottom