Structured Training in 2018

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Tin Pot, 6 Jan 2018.

1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Ok @Tin Pot I have found the ‘Ramp Test X’. It won't auto-calculate just yet. I get the impression they may work on that. So basically you ride as hard as you can until you bail. I get that bit, but how do you work the maths to workout your ballpark FTP? Sorry I’m no mathematician.

2. OP
    OP
    Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Yes that’s it. You need to join their Beta group on Facebook I think and their guys will manually calculate the FTP for you.

I’m not doing it yet, because I’m not convinced ramp testing will be good for me.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  3. simon walsh

simon walsh Über Member

I have been using the Sufferfest app with wattbike to work out ftp for the last couple of years seams to work well. I also found that once I started back onto the road as opposed to the wattbike my ftp dropped. Really shows how effective indoor training can be as much as it can be boring.

4. Heltor Chasca

Thank you. I found a tutorial by Shane Millar on YouTube and if this photo comes out, this is the summary. For the hell of it I may try one tomorrow.

EFA857C4-43DA-4D17-BA61-72A860E21BC9.jpeg

si_c likes this.
  5. You need to send it to trainerroad guys/gals and they will work it out for you

6. Asa Post

Asa Post Small lungs, weak legs

For those not using TR, there is a downloadable .zwo file to do the test in Zwift. Click on my link and scroll down a bit for the link to the file.

7. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

VO2 max intervals scheduled for tomorrow morning. Built a plan using the principles in Joe Friel's fast after 50 book. Really enjoying it and the book allows me to focus on what is important in each of the periods of training. Hitting power numbers whilst listening to music seems to work well for me.

HLaB, Tin Pot and Heltor Chasca like this.
  8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

To add, I found an application that analyses your music and adds the BPM to its meta data. You can then create playlists for your workouts based on BPM to match cadence.

HLaB and Tin Pot like this.
  9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Intervals done. It felt hard but good.

Breedon and Tin Pot like this.
  10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

11. I just use my hrt monitor to see how im doing

HLaB likes this.
  12. Heltor Chasca

Did TrainerRoad’s experimental Ramp Test X today. I liked it and felt it was a truer representation of my efforts than the 8 and 20 minute tests. I hit my maximum heart rate which I don't normally do on the other tests. I blew up and was almost ill, but I gained 2% on my FTP so I’m feeling encouraged. That was after 2 days sledging with the kids.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
    Tin Pot and YukonBoy like this.
  13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

These are the indicators an App gives based on Heart Rate Variability. So a useful tool to avoid overtraining or to up your training on a day if it indicates you can handle it.

Green: indicates that compared to your own personal trends, you should be able to handle more stress today. This often includes being able to:

• Exercise a little harder than normal
    • Tackle a few more items on your to-do list
    • Think a little more clearly at work or school
    • Have reduced systemic inflammation
    Yellow (Sympathetic): indicates the body is under a bit more stress than usual. Consider lighter exercise and reducing stressful activity unless you have restful days coming up or if over doing it is not a concern.

Yellow (Parasympathetic): indicates the body’s recovery systems are working overtime to recover from a large or accumulated stress. This state is correlated with over reaching in training or over-active parasympathetic (recovery) systems.

Red (sympathetic): indicates the body is experiencing deeper levels of stress or fatigue. To avoid over training or over stressing it is highly recommended to prioritize rest.

Red (parasympathetic): indicates a deeper level of recovery activity in response to accumulated stress. The body is likely reaching an over trained state. It is strongly recommended to prioritize light active recovery.

Breedon likes this.
  14. Is the ramp test done in erg mode.

15. I switched to power training when I started structured training at first Virtual Power via TR and now an actual Power Meter. For some bizarre reason my HR monitors have all failed since I started the more structured intervals (I wear one to record only). Perhaps they can't cope with being bathed in sweat :wacko:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice