Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
No I haven’t seen the new FTP test. I would be interested though. What is it called in their workout list?

I am sceptical about the 20 minute FTP on TR. As a rule I can train on a much higher FTP than the results of the test show. I use my Kickr Snap in erg mode. Mind you: Two days ago I did my assessment after 5 hours on the tools digging and grubbing out tree stumps in the frozen soil. I also had taken down a small Pyrus tree. Not a good day to do it, but that’s what life dictates and sometimes I arrive at an Audax already wiped out from 5 days physical, outdoor work. Somehow I get round.

Ok @Tin Pot I have found the ‘Ramp Test X’. It won't auto-calculate just yet. I get the impression they may work on that. So basically you ride as hard as you can until you bail. I get that bit, but how do you work the maths to workout your ballpark FTP? Sorry I’m no mathematician.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Ok @Tin Pot I have found the ‘Ramp Test X’. It won't auto-calculate just yet. I get the impression they may work on that. So basically you ride as hard as you can until you bail. I get that bit, but how do you work the maths to workout your ballpark FTP? Sorry I’m no mathematician.

Yes that’s it. You need to join their Beta group on Facebook I think and their guys will manually calculate the FTP for you.

I’m not doing it yet, because I’m not convinced ramp testing will be good for me.

I have been using the Sufferfest app with wattbike to work out ftp for the last couple of years seams to work well. I also found that once I started back onto the road as opposed to the wattbike my ftp dropped. Really shows how effective indoor training can be as much as it can be boring.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes that’s it. You need to join their Beta group on Facebook I think and their guys will manually calculate the FTP for you.

I’m not doing it yet, because I’m not convinced ramp testing will be good for me.

Thank you. I found a tutorial by Shane Millar on YouTube and if this photo comes out, this is the summary. For the hell of it I may try one tomorrow.

EFA857C4-43DA-4D17-BA61-72A860E21BC9.jpeg

Breedon

Legendary Member
You need to send it to trainerroad guys/gals and they will work it out for you

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
VO2 max intervals scheduled for tomorrow morning. Built a plan using the principles in Joe Friel's fast after 50 book. Really enjoying it and the book allows me to focus on what is important in each of the periods of training. Hitting power numbers whilst listening to music seems to work well for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Intervals done. It felt hard but good.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Did TrainerRoad’s experimental Ramp Test X today. I liked it and felt it was a truer representation of my efforts than the 8 and 20 minute tests. I hit my maximum heart rate which I don't normally do on the other tests. I blew up and was almost ill, but I gained 2% on my FTP so I’m feeling encouraged. That was after 2 days sledging with the kids.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
These are the indicators an App gives based on Heart Rate Variability. So a useful tool to avoid overtraining or to up your training on a day if it indicates you can handle it.

Green: indicates that compared to your own personal trends, you should be able to handle more stress today. This often includes being able to:

• Exercise a little harder than normal
  • Tackle a few more items on your to-do list
  • Think a little more clearly at work or school
  • Have reduced systemic inflammation
Yellow (Sympathetic): indicates the body is under a bit more stress than usual. Consider lighter exercise and reducing stressful activity unless you have restful days coming up or if over doing it is not a concern.

Yellow (Parasympathetic): indicates the body’s recovery systems are working overtime to recover from a large or accumulated stress. This state is correlated with over reaching in training or over-active parasympathetic (recovery) systems.

Red (sympathetic): indicates the body is experiencing deeper levels of stress or fatigue. To avoid over training or over stressing it is highly recommended to prioritize rest.

Red (parasympathetic): indicates a deeper level of recovery activity in response to accumulated stress. The body is likely reaching an over trained state. It is strongly recommended to prioritize light active recovery.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Did TrainerRoad’s experimental Ramp Test X today. I liked it and felt it was a truer representation of my efforts than the 8 and 20 minute tests. I hit my maximum heart rate which I don't normally do on the other tests. I blew up and was almost ill, but I gained 2% on my FTP so I’m feeling encouraged. That was after 2 days sledging with the kids.
Is the ramp test done in erg mode.

Does anyone use Heart Rate Variability in their training?. I notice you can get HRV apps to work with BT4.0 or Ant Heart chest straps.

https://www.hrvcourse.com/heart-rate-variability-vs-heart-rate/
I switched to power training when I started structured training at first Virtual Power via TR and now an actual Power Meter. For some bizarre reason my HR monitors have all failed since I started the more structured intervals (I wear one to record only). Perhaps they can't cope with being bathed in sweat :wacko:

Top Bottom