Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I sort of failed today's workout, because I gave up on the cadence target :blush:.

There were two Sweet Spot efforts of 12 minutes, with a cadence of 95. I don't think I've ever averaged 95 for that length of time in my life. A couple of minutes in, I knew I wasn't going to do it today either. I let the cadence slide away and kept the power going, it was much easier. For the second effort, I ignored the cadence altogether (and still got a gold star - so according to Zwift I didn't fail). The sprints, at higher powers and cadences, were fairly easy because they were short.

I'm going to have some rest days from now on, starting tomorrow. I'll go back to five rides a week and see how I do.
No days off, and fast spinning for long periods, clearly doesn't suit me. I'll keep trying with the cadences, but I'd rather finish the workout and hit the power targets than blow up completely part-way through a ride.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Very new to structured training. In cycling that is. I am only about 2 months into owning a trainer and using TR. I love it and the results are tangible. My interest is nothing other than general health benefits and Audax. I completed a 200 in early December and another 200 yesterday. From about 6 week’s structured TR workouts I certainly spent less time in the ‘Type 2 Fun Zone’ xx(

I’ll be sticking to my TR schedule and my other goal is to try a 300 later on in 2018.

mythste

Veteran
Had my first IRL ride on Sunday, 50 miles and 4000ft so a good little stretch after the festive laziness.

Legs felt good, and recovery was much better than it has been. I did however forget that I can’t do that amount of climbing without fueling properly. I’ve been doing all of my zwifting on an empty stomach. Que emergency coffee and flapjack 5 miles from home just to make sure!

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Whats a realistic FTP increase over 12 months if you really gun it - having done no structured training previously and quite frankly a flopped 2017? I'm at 224 at the moment. Would 300 by the end of the year be achievable do we think? It would be nice to have a goal.

Realistic? I’m a man who thinks anything is possible, and I’ve some experience that supports that.

If you haven’t done structured training before, the current zeitgeist says you’ve a good chance of serious gains.

That said, if you’re already at over 4W/Kg (!) I’d say it’s marginal gains :smile: For me however, there’s plenty still on the table to pick up through training.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Two weeks in, all bike sessions hit and only the first swim missed In still feeling positive.

Today’s interval sessions were easily achievable so I’m getting confident that my bike fitness is coming back.

4AFE0172-5B92-49EF-B4F9-BF164C55F2B2.jpeg

I'm feeling quite positive about the benefits of my structured training over the last few years. Numbers were poor after the flu but they bounced back quite quickly and I've still got a lingering pathetic cough. My intensity is a bit low in my latter intervals some of that is getting bored and sprinting out of zone in the prior but I hope the rest of it is down to this pathetic cough :'/

4x8.JPG

2x15.JPG

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
... immediate protein after working out...
Hello there. What are you eating / drinking for your protein fix? Currently I use Wiggle's own protein drink but I am interested to learn what others use! Thanks :smile:

mythste

Veteran
Hello there. What are you eating / drinking for your protein fix? Currently I use Wiggle's own protein drink but I am interested to learn what others use! Thanks :smile:

Just a diet whey protein with no sugar or other additives. I'll check the brand when I get home but seems to be doing well!

On week 2 day 6 of the zwift 4 week FTP builder and I've been able to add in commuting (5 miles each way) without detriment which I'm happy about.

The workouts aren't kicking my ass in quite the way they were at the beginning but im resisting the urge to artificially up my FTP and convincing myself that not completely emptying the tank on every workout is sensible.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Struggling this week through a bout of apathy and a couple of nights out. Some catching up to do at the weekend which rarely works out...

400bhp

Guru
I'm use TR @Tin Pot .:okay: What level of volume are you following?

I've used low in the past, but have been using mid volume this time around. Just in the first week of the second 6 week block.

I actually enjoy the sweet spot work:training:

Do you listen to the TR podcasts? I'd encourage you to do so as the three main coaches really know their stuff.

Top Bottom