Structured Training in 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I switched to power training when I started structured training at first Virtual Power via TR and now an actual Power Meter. For some bizarre reason my HR monitors have all failed since I started the more structured intervals (I wear one to record only). Perhaps they can't cope with being bathed in sweat :wacko:

I don’t bother with HR anymore - I do check occasionally say after a hard interval or during FTP testing just to see if it’s where I expect, and it almost always is. I think after a few years training with HR you get to know yourself better.

HRV has never really grabbed my attention. I’ve heard a lot about it, but I can’t see that I’d benefit from worrying about it.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Inconsistent week from me again, but I managed two turbos and four runs including a new PB over 5k. Good sign this early in the season I hope. Interrupted on the the last two turbo sessions too, which doesn’t matter so much but makes you feel a bit lacklustre.

How’s everyone else progressing?

Chappy

Guru
Update from me.

I am currently on week 3 of the Sustained Power Build low volume and it is going well as I can train at work during my lunch hour and do a long outdoor ride at the weekends. All this is in preparation for the Dartmoor Classic this year and so far there is improvement I rode the Wiltshire Wildcat on Sunday and my average speed has gone up and I was able to push myself harder all the way round.

So all in all positive progress so far just have to keep up the consistency.

400bhp

Guru
Just completed a 3rd FTP test in the last 12-15 weeks on TR (2 x 8 minutes).

I fell apart on the second of the two, with two to three minutes to go. I was ill at the weekend with a stomach bug that stopped me racing too and I suspect that was the outcome of it. I've historically managed to do both 8 minute efforts within a few watts of each other but today the second was some 14w lower. Still, a test is a test and it's given me a reasonable number to work with.

Actually, it's given me two numbers. One for the Kickr and one for my P1 pedals (recorded via a Garmin).
I've been tracking the accurancy and consistency for the two for the past month. They are consistently within 1-2w.
This was also the first time I'd tested using the two sources. Prior testing was with a Stages PM (now confirmed to be unreliable) and an old set of P1 pedals (that had to be replaced under warranty).

I suspect my new P1s show slightly lower readings than my old set, but so long as they are consistent I don't mind.

FWIW a bit of anecdotal evidence for you in respect of the 8 minute FTP estimation. I have a pal who has a set of Garmin P3 pedals. He tested using the 8 minutes a few weeks ago and it gave him an estimated FTP of 317w. He did a race lasting about 1 hr 15 minutes and set he couldn't have done any more that what he gave. His NP for the race was 315w.

Last edited:
I've had a bit too much going on so my training has notbeen the best. That said for the input I was quite pleased with where I was pre Christmas. Then the flu hit. Eventually got back to where I was despite all the things that are going on. Then bang, on Saturday I awoke feeling a bit odd and then my stomach had a mass bloody blow out. Strangely enough it never felt sore before or after but my performances aren't half of what they were. I think I'll skip tomorrow's session and do a little fettling instead.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tested FTP yesterday and it is up 20 watts since Jan. Now entering my second late base training period. The main insight for many here is how you can improve with it not requiring the sessions to be that long at all. Stress + recovery = fitness. Miss either out and the fitness drops.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Tested FTP yesterday and it is up 20 watts since Jan. Now entering my second late base training period. The main insight for many here is how you can improve with it not requiring the sessions to be that long at all. Stress + recovery = fitness. Miss either out and the fitness drops.
Totally agree.

My problem is a cycle of sudden urge to overtrain followed by no desire to train at all. I’m hoping that I can resist both of those and simply follow a low volume structured plan. First six week plan went well. The current 8 week plan is...a bit rocky.

si_c

Guru
All my plans for engaging in some structured training have fallen by the wayside a bit. I struggled last year to quantify why, but since the beginning of the year I've been using an HRM on all my commutes too, and I actually work quite hard on those rides, to the point where my training load indicates I'm permanently fatigued.

Last night I did the Zwift KISS Europe race, only did the C cat rather than the B, but I was still having a real struggle to maintain 80% FTP beyond the hour.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Totally agree.

My problem is a cycle of sudden urge to overtrain followed by no desire to train at all. I’m hoping that I can resist both of those and simply follow a low volume structured plan. First six week plan went well. The current 8 week plan is...a bit rocky.

I build in rest weeks into my plans. I still train at the same intensities of the preceding week but cut the volume right down to low doze. I also have reat days where I go for a short walk or do strength work. I have scheduled the rest weeks to happen after my events. Seeing the results I am getting I have no intention of increasing the intensity or duration of the workouts other than as indicated in the high level training periods.

Chappy

Guru
I build in rest weeks into my plans. I still train at the same intensities of the preceding week but cut the volume right down to low doze. I also have reat days where I go for a short walk or do strength work. I have scheduled the rest weeks to happen after my events. Seeing the results I am getting I have no intention of increasing the intensity or duration of the workouts other than as indicated in the high level training periods.

This is why I like trainer road. I am on a rest week next week so I have 3 recovery rides to do .

Top Bottom