Viscount SupaPro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Gradually getting my L'Eroica bike together. Aerospace Pro with added Dura-Ace First Gen Black.

Viscount.jpg

Load of random pictures in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcusbad2rr0ux8d/AADT9FJCWa_-6OXLOU1N5juxa?dl=0
Picked up the frame from Mario Vaz on Saturday, hope to have it finished next week for a couple weeks of shakedown rides before L'Eroica. Then on to build up the Brooks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Viscounts are great to ride even more so with the Aerospace tubing , what bottom bracket you going to run ??

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Viscounts are great to ride even more so with the Aerospace tubing , what bottom bracket you going to run ??
I would like to run a standard bb but will probably end up with a Prestine. I gave a 121mm from y frame discounts. But they sent a 70mm Italian and not the ordered 68mm. Dialogue not going well so far.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Please excuse the state of my workshop I am having a clear out of all the VW parts I have and made a right old mess.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Built the wheels at the weekend. The Dura-Ace hubs are fantastic some of the best I have used the rims Weinmann 27" x 1 1/4" on the other hand are some of the worst.
Hubs are 32 and I bought a pair of NOS Mavic Sprint rims only to realise that the brakes did not have enough drop for 700's so had to go on the hunt for some 27's not easy any more especially in 32 hole. So had little option but to go for a used pair that seemed round and fairly flat, that is until I started to add some load to the spokes at which time they decided to impersonate a threepenny bit and a pringle I spent a frustrating afternoon chasing the wobbles and dips, in the end getting a pair of useable wheels. I am not totally happy with the outcome as the rims are type two which have offset spoke holes but opposite to type one which have the first hole before the valve offset to the right. so I had to start the lacing in a different position I did try but failed to get two parallel spokes at the valve. As any of you that know me will know this is bugging me big time. Still these are only stop gap rims until I can find a nice pair of hens teeth to replace them with. I will post some embarrassing pictures later.
Oh and the Dura-Ace crown race will not fit on the Death fork so I will have to ask a friend with a lathe to turn down the steerer for me.

the snail

Guru
Oh and the Dura-Ace crown race will not fit on the Death fork so I will have to ask a friend with a lathe to turn down the steerer for me.

Good grief,you're a braver man than me that's fer sure! Sounds like this will be a lovely bike though, those viscounts are great to ride - I have very fond memories. Have you got a threaded BB and no tubes sticking into it then, or are you going for a push-fit?

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
I have ground the tubes away inside the bb and used a Prestine threadless bottom bracket. Which I will put back to standard as soon as I have found a good bb axle that is tapered.
It is a type 3 Death Fork so should be fine.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
After failing to get the fork cut for a 26.4mm crown race I got in touch with the great Barry Chick (of Alf Engers superbike fame) who cut and faced the fork and fitted the race for me. I picked it up Thursday night and hurriedly got home to fit it. with the bearings all greased I fitted the fork and on screwing on the top race I was horrified that the steerer only just came through the top bearing leaving nothing for the lock washer or top nut. My heart sank how could it be. Oh dear what to do now? No going back to the original as the crown race would now flop about. I had put both headsets side by side and they was close to being the same height, less than 1mm difference. What I had not noticed was the original headset went in to the frame a lot further so although the overall height was near the same the stack height was nearly 7.5mm different. I then went round measuring what I needed above the top race which worked out to between 6mm and 8mm. A quick measure of the head tube showed enough below and above the top and down tube to be able to cut the required off. So I stripped the bike down and removed the headset from the frame then masked up the head tube and top tube just in case of a slip with the saw. As it was getting late and I was tiered I thought it best to leave the cutting until the next day.

So Friday evening I took a deep breath and cut 6mm from the head tube. all went well and the cut was less than .25mm out of square not bad seeing as I had cut it freehand very slowly and feeling sick and slightly sweaty. Saturday afternoon I went to the very busy Senova Cycles in Hertford where Erol did a great job of reaming and facing the head tube while I went to Boots to get some black nail varnish to give the bare metal a bit of protection.

Saturday evening I spent building up the bike with no further surprises. I can recommend the waxed cotton 1mm thread sold on ebay at £1.50 for 9 meters which I used to whip the bar tape. So much nicer that a bit of electrical tape.

Sunday I went on a 38 mile test ride. And what a ride the Viscount is. Smooth, quick but stable steering and almost silent. the Dura Ace hubs are a revelation they just roll and roll, the brakes work and the gears all just slip in almost silently. I have not used any mid 70's Campagnolo but they would have been hard pushed to better the Shimano offering.

Top Bottom