Visibility ... where do you draw the line?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Moodyman said:
If I look silly in hi viz during daylight so be it. I'm commuting not partaking in a fashion parade.

Aye that's the way I see it.:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
day time - no lights & no hi viz - usually all in black
Nigh time - no hi-viz - still in all black - 2 front and 2 rear lights (1 flashing 1 Constant)

Norm

Here's another one I was contemplating when out on the bike earlier today. I crested a hill in Windsor and saw, about 850m up the road, a chap in a hi-viz jacket. About 100m later, I went past 2 girls on the pavement in the dark green uniform of Windsor Girls School who I had not "noticed" until I was passing them.

The difference in visibility was incredible.

Others may have different experiences, there may be times when there is so much hi-viz around that people might be more noticeable when they don't wear it rather than being "hidden in plain view" but I know where I draw my line.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
During the day i wear my white windproof top, no lights on. When its dark i wear my red night vision jacket, hope vision 1 on the front and 3 rear lights, 1 on the back of my jacket and 2 on the back of my bike (2 flashing 1 constant)

jay

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rhythm Thief said:
This is a strange attitude. In the first place, it smacks of snobbery (which no doubt is not your intention), and in the second, as a professional driver I can testify to the fact that a hi vis tabard is one of the most visible things on the road. I agree that hi vis is not a substitute for lights but day or night it can help you to be seen. You don't have to work on a building site to wear it.

I fear, Mr Thief, you misinterpret me. It is a statement of fact, I don't work on a building site or on the railways (any more in the case of the latter.). Such clothing is iirc obligatory there and I have no doubt, once it becomes near ubiquitous on cyclists, it will become obligatory here, on my back, to. Aesthetically it is a freakin' disaster. I prefer style myself.

If hi-viz is the answer, why is not (already) mandatory? Why are cars and more especially motorcycles not flourescent? How come when a London cycle commuter I got hit three times whilst wearing a stoopid hi-viz tabard? Simples. If they ain't looking you could wear Sophie Dahl and they wouldn't see you.

You are a pro driver, your skills, vigilance and experience are not representative of Joe Public imo. If you choose to wear hi-viz

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
GregCollins said:
If they ain't looking you could wear Sophie Dahl and they wouldn't see you.

I'm sure Sophie's very nice and all, but you start wearing her for your commute, then others will, and soon a formerly plus size model on the bars will become near ubiquitous for cyclists, then mandatory as per your post above, and we start all over again.

Personally, I'm short-cutting the whole thing. All I need is some Christmas tree lights, a high viz tabard that'll fit Sophie, and a fair amount of persuasive force.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Then again, Mr Allsopp, almost nobody else is quite as visible as we are no matter how much hiviz or Christmas tree lights they choose to wear.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Almost nobody, Mikey... You and I are at the upper end of a ramping scale that surely terminates with Sophie Dahl on a recumbent. :blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mind you, some drivers are able to miss something even more visible - a Quest velomobiel:

smashed1wy2.jpg

I think that cost her insurance company something on the order of £5,000. The bike whisperer said that was the most expensive bike he'd ever had in his shop.

Asking to be hit

I think cars should be made to wear high-viz. Loads of them are painted really dark colours, and lots are in a stupid silver-grey colour that just blends into concrete and tarmac on a bright day -going round like that is just asking to be hit in my opinion . . .

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
And the award for best post in this thread goes to......

recumbentpanda said:
I think cars should be made to wear high-viz. Loads of them are painted really dark colours, and lots are in a stupid silver-grey colour that just blends into concrete and tarmac on a bright day -going round like that is just asking to be hit in my opinion . . .

Love it :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
During the day nothing, at night one rear light, one front light. Any more is overkill.

Shameless exhibitionism Lee? I'm trying to get the image of a naked trucker with the stereotypical trucker physique wobbling along on his bike out of my head :tongue: :smile:!

Top Bottom