Vision rear hub diassembly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Vision T30 rear wheel which needs a new cartridge bearing, trouble is I am having trouble getting the axle out. I can get the freehub off ok, but not the non drive side.
The hub looks like this:
Vision%20Metron%2040%20Clincher%20wheelset%20-%20rear%20hub%202.jpg

The red ring is the PRA (preload ring) and screws in and out
Should the end cap pull off or unscrew?
I tried tapping out the axle from the other side with the freehub removed but nothing happened

Flyboy

Stick a needle-nose pliers into the end cap, grip very tightly and yank hard. It will pop off or, if you didn't grip tightly enough, the pliers will slip and leave a scrape.
Alternatively, make yourself an end-cap pop off tool (ECPOT) by cutting a piece of 5mm piano wire/springsteel 200mm long and grind the ends nice and true. Now stick it into the hub from the other side and make it catch on the inside of the cup. Tap it with a hammer and make it pop off.

It is retained by an internal O-ring that seats into a groove.

Once the cap is off, unscrew the preload collar and proceed from there.

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Thanks, both your descriptions are complete opposites!

@Flyboy, your hub instructions say to unscrew the end nut:
Rear hub - non drive side: unscrew the Pinch Bolt (5) in the Threaded Preload Collar (9) using a 2.5 mm Allen Key (Fig.2) and then unscrew the Threaded Preload Collar (9) 6.Using a 5mm Allen wrench unscrew and remove the rear Axle End Nut (8) together with Threaded Preload Collar (9)

@Yellow Saddle, your method assumes its pushed on.

I tried popping it off with a 5mm punch, wouldn't budge, I tried a 5mm allen key in both ends of the axle, would not unscrew. I assume its seized

Thanks, both your descriptions are complete opposites!

@Flyboy, your hub instructions say to unscrew the end nut:
Rear hub - non drive side: unscrew the Pinch Bolt (5) in the Threaded Preload Collar (9) using a 2.5 mm Allen Key (Fig.2) and then unscrew the Threaded Preload Collar (9) 6.Using a 5mm Allen wrench unscrew and remove the rear Axle End Nut (8) together with Threaded Preload Collar (9)

@Yellow Saddle, your method assumes its pushed on.

I tried popping it off with a 5mm punch, wouldn't budge, I tried a 5mm allen key in both ends of the axle, would not unscrew. I assume its seized

I apologise if I posted the wrong method. If the inside of the cap hole is hex, then the solution is obvious. The fact that it won't budge means that it is either corroded or threadlocked. If you suspect that it is threadlocked, a bit of heat with a heat gun should soften the threadlock. More force is never the answer with aluminium components.

Threadlock and bravery was the answer, although I thought it would unscrew nearer the end of the axle than that, thanks for your suggestions.
I used an extra long allen key in the end.
View attachment 379685

Is the black end cap and the threadlocked bit one and the same piece? To me it doesn't make sense to have it arranged like that. How do you then find the right pre-load position for the red collar and lock it's position in place?

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Yes, the end cap has two threaded parts, the bit you can see and then a slightly wider diameter threaded bit the red preload screws on to

Ajax Bay

Guru
How do you then find the right pre-load position for the red collar and lock it's position in place?
I think the pre-load (red) collar is locked in place with a pinch bolt. See this:
Rear hub - non drive side: unscrew the Pinch Bolt (5) in the Threaded Preload Collar (9) using a 2.5 mm Allen Key (Fig.2) and then unscrew the Threaded Preload Collar (9)

Top Bottom