Vision testing for cyclists in Hyde Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Did anyone have their vision tested in Hyde Park this morning?

There was a tent with some visdion screening stuff and a photocall for a tie up between the CTC, Vision Express and a lens firm called Transitions. It makes the lenses that go dark in the sun.

Apparently a quarter of cyclists haven't had an eye test in the last two years and many wear their ordinary glasses when cycling. The peoject is going on tour but I don't know to which towns.

Vision Express is doing offers for cyclists and there are discounts on lenses. Not sure how all of that is managed though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Unrelated to this vision test, but this statistic that many wear their normal glasses when cycling, I do this and its annoying but I need glasses to consider myself road legal (I dont like to wear them day to day, but I'd need them to drive, so I need them to ride a bike)

Do you have any idea how much you would have to spend to get a pair of cycling specific glasses with perscription lenses? To my knowledge for a pair of oakleys you would be paying a premium, its no wonder people dont bother. I'd love a pair (not oakleys, just cycle/sport specific eyewear with perscription lenses), was just telling my girlfriend how for my next birthday I will ask my parents to contribute to the purchase since they never know what to buy me :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I got perscription inserts in my cycling glasses. Wish i went through the park today and not along park lane, for several reasons.

My opticion explained to me that making lens' have the transition effect from clear to shade, means that the lens is more brital, and more prone to breaking into sharp peices that can go into the eye. For cycling where these is potential impact and the lens braking, i would rather not risk that :smile: Although she could have been speaking a load of bull.

wesa

I don't need glases to drive but I prefer to wear them. I went for contacts for the bike. I usualy were sunglasses or clear glasses as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I cannot wear contact lenses, I can NOT touch my eye's and I WILL NOT get used to it, however many times people try to tell me this.

Plus glasses keep bugs, dust etc out of my eyes when cycling. I'd like some cycle specific glasses though, because my normal glasses are not so comfy for sports, and steam up easy because they arent fited to the face so hot breath gets behind lenses etc. I believe that dedicated sports lenses can be coated to reduce this, plus they hug the face better.

Can you get lenses made for any cycling glasses of your choice or do you have to choose specific frames fomr the optician? I know very little of glasses, Ive had my day to day glasses for like 3 years and I hate them and only wear them for cycling and seminars and conferences.

Matthames

Über Member
gaz said:
My opticion explained to me that making lens' have the transition effect from clear to shade, means that the lens is more brital, and more prone to breaking into sharp peices that can go into the eye. For cycling where these is potential impact and the lens braking, i would rather not risk that :smile: Although she could have been speaking a load of bull.

There was a certain style of frame I liked and wanted to have the transition effect with it, the optician wouldn't let me have that combination because of the brittleness of the transition lenses. I have found that I cannot get on with transitions, in sunny conditions they are great, however in low light they were next to useless.

I use my ordinary glasses when cycling, although it would be nice to have some cycling specific glasses.

lit

marinyork said:
I don't see what business it is of the CTC endorsing this sort of stuff.

One word: Kerching.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got these yesterday. £100 with my prescription. You get 3 poly carbonate lenses, grey, brown and clear. With the lenses in the clear lens they do look odd but don't think that will be noticable at night as you flash by anyone:becool:. I'd been riding with my normal glasses for several years but was getting worried about hitting flying grit.

tyred

Legendary Member
I always wear my normal specs when cycling. Mainly because I'm as blind as a bat and I probably wouldn't be able to see the handlebars without them.

Always mean to look into cycling specific glasses but am concerned about what they could end up costing. Normal ones work okay for me anyway. You just need to make sure the optician adjusts them properly so they don't slide down your nose when using the drops.

I'm half blind without specs too.

When I got into cycling I went for pair that were light and had lenses that were short, height wise but long, length wise and react-to-light; as I felt I could wear them close to the face and they would give me better eye protection. I found this to be true and my next pair that were similar.

Occasionally I wear contact lenses (daily disposables) under sun glasses but to be honest I prefer my prescription specs. Except when its raining its sometimes good to be able to take of specs and still see.

Top Bottom