Visited by the p***ture fairy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

Slime do a similar product as do Halfords, not sure how effective they are. When I was a raw beginner I had my inners filled with slime. It worked great until the first puncture when I was treated to the sight of fluorescent green slime spraying across the road. Better tyres a spare tube and the ability to repair if necessary is the way to go IMHO.:blush:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Tried the Slime variants once; as the last poster says, all they do is leak green gunge from the hole as the tyre deflates....

Just get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which are the best protection you can get. Although saying that, I got a flat last week after crunching over a hidden bottle (under leaves) and sending a 1-inch shard of glass straight through the protective layers.... :blush:

It wouldn't surprise me if was on the Roseburn path or somewhere similar. I hadn't had one in nearly a year then one one night (before the clocks changed) I was trotting along there slowly I never saw the smashed bottle neck :tongue: and it wasn't hidden by leaves :blush:.
Ive never tried slime my self so I can't really comment on it but it seemed a messy system to me.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:
TJust get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which are the best protection you can get. Although saying that, I got a flat last week after crunching over a hidden bottle (under leaves) and sending a 1-inch shard of glass straight through the protective layers.... :sad:

That why I use Conti GatorSkins :tongue:

HLaB said:
It wouldn't surprise me if was on the Roseburn path or somewhere similar. I hadn't had one in nearly a year then one one night (before the clocks changed) I was trotting along there slowly I never saw the smashed bottle neck :biggrin: and it wasn't hidden by leaves :blush:.

I came across three smashed buckfast bottles, glass completely covering the Roseburn path earlier this year (goo can probable remember it). On the way out I got off and walked across, but forgot it was there on the way home and cycled strait across it. Not a single p**cture. Yep, I miss using the Roseburn path...

The fairy was down south as well today. That lovely sound of high pressure air escaping at 0640.....
On the up side a pair of Marathon Plus had arrived from Bike+ when I got home, just the pleasure of fitting them now!

ChrisW

goo_mason said:
Tried the Slime variants once; as the last poster says, all they do is leak green gunge from the hole as the tyre deflates....

Just get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which are the best protection you can get. Although saying that, I got a flat last week after crunching over a hidden bottle (under leaves) and sending a 1-inch shard of glass straight through the protective layers.... :blush:

Me too, got Marathon Pluses, last week.

Your p***ture sounds like real bad luck. I'm not likely to get that on the roads of surburban sout-west London. At leats i hope not 'cos i've stopped carrying a spare.

goo_mason

HLaB said:
It wouldn't surprise me if was on the Roseburn path or somewhere similar. I hadn't had one in nearly a year then one one night (before the clocks changed) I was trotting along there slowly I never saw the smashed bottle neck :biggrin: and it wasn't hidden by leaves ;).
Ive never tried slime my self so I can't really comment on it but it seemed a messy system to me.

I do go along the Roseburn Path, but it wasn't there. It was a 2 minute walk from home, just before the path ends at the Sandport Street bridge in Leith.

There's lots of glass everywhere between Leith and the Gyle, and usually I cycle through it without a care in the world. It's the really big hidden stuff you've got to worry about, though having said that I've run over my fair share of half-broken bottles with no ill effects before. Just a few months back I ran across a smashed up telly, which was under a bridge on the Telford Path. Came round the corner, it wasn't yet fully light, and there was no avoiding it. Tyres were fine, surprisingly. Can't say the same about my nerves after the shock !

goo_mason

HLaB said:
It wouldn't surprise me if was on the Roseburn path or somewhere similar. I hadn't had one in nearly a year then one one night (before the clocks changed) I was trotting along there slowly I never saw the smashed bottle neck :tongue: and it wasn't hidden by leaves :blush:.

I do go along the Roseburn Path, but it wasn't there. It was a 2 minute walk from home, just before the path ends at the Sandport Street bridge in Leith.

There's lots of glass everywhere between Leith and the Gyle, and usually I cycle through it without a care in the world. It's the really big hidden stuff you've got to worry about, though having said that I've run over my fair share of half-broken bottles with no ill effects before. Just a few months back I ran across a smashed up telly, which was under a bridge on the Telford Path. Came round the corner, it wasn't yet fully light, and there was no avoiding it. Tyres were fine, surprisingly. Can't say the same about my nerves after the shock !

goo_mason

Meant to ask - what's your route now, HJ ? Obviously up and down Broughton Road, but after that ?

Is it better / worse than the old Roseburn Path and its environs ?

goo_mason

Meant to ask - what's your route now, HJ ? Obviously up and down Broughton Road, but after that ?

Is it better / worse than the old Roseburn Path and its environs ?

Top Bottom