Visiting Stonehenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Am contemplating route including section from Devizes to Salisbury via Stonehenge.

Quick google suggests it's a nightmare to visit Stonehenge by bike.

There is a track from Larkhill, but it doesn't look great.

Anyone with local knowledge able to offer advice? Would like to be on tarmac or reasonable quality surface.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This right of way goes right past Stone Henge bypassing the visitor centre. Really depends what you are comfortable with. I’m not local.

IMG_0331.jpeg

Ajax Bay

Guru
English heritage website directs you to Sustrans site for listing site by bike.
English Heritage also offers a recommended cycle route from Old Sarum: first bit is nice but I love their caveat for riding 3 odd miles along the A303: "DIFFICULTY – Intermediate/Enthusiast. Good fitness and road experience is recommended (the latter due to a section on the often busy A303)." "Often busy"!!
The access road seems merely to have the 'no motor vehicles' prohibition sign so maybe you can just cycle down to the debussing car park and peer over the fence: that is pretty close. I've not been back since my parents took me a couple of times: parking right there in our/their first car and clambering over the low enough stones. NB (for @matticus ' benefit): photo below is not contemporary.
1706298531210.png

@Solocle is a bit more local.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I’m local! Grew up 2 miles away, now live 20 miles away. I’d say it’s fine on a tourer or a gravel bike but not a road bike. Does depend a bit on the mud situation! But you can easily cycle to Stonehenge from Larkhill. I’ve done it many times. I’m also a few miles from Devizes so feel free to ask any more questions!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If you use cycle.travel and set to paved only, the suggested route is def the best one in my opinion. You’d then cut left at Durrington to Larkhill, visit Stonehenge and head back towards Amesbury. The only non-paved bit is the Stonehenge diversion.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If you use cycle.travel and set to paved only, the suggested route is def the best one in my opinion. You’d then cut left at Durrington to Larkhill, visit Stonehenge and head back towards Amesbury. The only non-paved bit is the Stonehenge diversion.

Thanks!

It looks like there's a cyclable footway along the 303, which would be OK to use for a short stretch, so crossing at (2) to access Stonehenge Road at (3) seems a good option to avoid a double back?

1000002767.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
It looks like there's a cyclable footway along the 303, which would be OK to use for a short stretch, so crossing at (2) to access Stonehenge Road at (3) seems a good option to avoid a double back?
Doable but.
The crossing of the A303 will need 'timing'. The west bound traffic will be impatiently moving by then after their delays from the choke as the dual drops to single carriageway.
It's a footpath on the side of the A303 rather than a cycle path, but so what?
OK up the hill, but once you turn into Stonehenge Road be aware that it's 'No Entry'/one way and so drivers will not be expecting a cyclist coming the other way (even though the road's well wide enough). The narrow trod on the south side verge continues, but of reduced surface quality so that's the super safe (but frustrating) option.

Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
Don’t ride along the a303. Do NOT!

The two times I've visited Stonehenge have both involved substantial A303 riding. East/West that's hard to avoid.
fEk9zvIGUh8K0SeNuzzSlxnvof0Q2FgUZnAXFCeU-2048x1536.jpg

The byway was rideable on a road bike for the short stretch I did (between the old A344 and the A303).
GCFTe5H9Q2THzFAl7pkfMYQ3Sho1i9fce1Z_yc-Y-2048x1536.jpg

I did actually contemplate trying for Stonehenge Road on my way to Amesbury there, but it really looked difficult to get across to at a suitable point, so ended up turning right at Countess Roundabout.
1706360457081.png

English Heritage also offers a recommended cycle route from Old Sarum: first bit is nice but I love their caveat for riding 3 odd miles along the A303: "DIFFICULTY – Intermediate/Enthusiast. Good fitness and road experience is recommended (the latter due to a section on the often busy A303)." "Often busy"!!
The access road seems merely to have the 'no motor vehicles' prohibition sign so maybe you can just cycle down to the debussing car park and peer over the fence: that is pretty close. I've not been back since my parents took me a couple of times: parking right there in our/their first car and clambering over the low enough stones. NB (for @matticus ' benefit): photo below is not contemporary.

@Solocle is a bit more local.
Yeah, you're perfectly fine riding on the access road, a couple of busses, lots of pedestrians, and that's it. Unfortunately not much help overall, as getting to Salisbury from Airmans Corner is a bit of a detour, via the A360.
l0u6WkkHbIClYrZ0nvAVfq3GDDIUuxrazxP4gRXA-2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What I find difficult to stomach is the £23 fee for a ticket, with parking incurring an additional charge.

Wonder how English heritage can justify that, when the ticket simply lets you walk on a path around the stones.

There is a path that runs adjacent to the official path (as shown by the bike in the pic) which is free. The official path is on the other side of the fence.

Attachments

• IMG_2495.png
    IMG_2495.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 13

Solocle

Über Member
What I find difficult to stomach is the £23 fee for a ticket, with parking incurring an additional charge.

Wonder how English heritage can justify that, when the ticket simply lets you walk on a path around the stones.

There is a path that runs adjacent to the official path (as shown by the bike in the pic) which is free. The official path is on the other side of the fence.

And open all hours.
4quI6fQyMGYCLm52j9_nDe-Go5GDm9ylouFsYfwM-2048x1536.jpg

Top Bottom