Visiting Stonehenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
This is do-able. The stretch on the a303 is minimal. I wouldn’t do it but obviously people do.

Short stretches can be OK, but it really depends. Hilariously I've actually ridden the majority of the A303 at some point.

But breaking it down:
  • LEJOG Day 2 - August Bank Holiday Monday 2021. Blackdown Hills. Manageable, although Ilminster to the A356 was sketchy af. Couldn't face the extra climbing of a quieter route that day.
  • Central section between Ilchester and A350 - Lockdown rides. Kinda fun.
  • Willoughby Hedge to Wylyle - Pretty standard A303 conditions in February '23, but substantially single carriageway. Main dual carriageway section had a nice wide hatched area for the climb out of Chicklade. Second ride to Stonehenge.
  • Popham to Michaeldever / A34 to Stonehenge. First ride to Stonehenge. This section is basically hell. But the full ride was London-Stonehenge, overnight, and I reached Popham at 3am. Not much traffic at that time of night, to the point where I stuck with the road that had the places to eat, rather than the desert that would be the A30, or the country lanes with lurking potholes. Plus, Stonehenge.
ClmASWpzTMrd2_c_95sKYw2vlF_BXpr3usE4Ap2M-2048x1536.jpg
1706445008909.png

Top Bottom