visiting the TDF.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
This year ive got into cycling and have the bug big time, im thinking of going to watch TDF next year but have no idea how....

Do you just travel to where it is find somewhere to park and watch?
what about if i fancy a ride?

Any advice or websites you guys have would be awesome.

thanks in advance.

thom

____
We have a thread about the anticipated route : http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tdf-2013-route.111329/
The route should be properly announced later this week but from what I gather, there will be an individual TT near Mt St Michel, so within easy striking distance.
But yes, I think you can just rock up at the side of the route but you probably cannot join in on the day...

simon.r

Person
Do you just travel to where it is find somewhere to park and watch?
what about if i fancy a ride?

Yes!

Most of the route is open to traffic up to an hour or two before the publicity caravan comes through and re-opens after the race has gone through. Exceptions are the start / finish areas.

Fantastic experience and well worth making the effort. It's the 100th time the race has been run (cycled?:smile: ) this year as well. Official announcement of the route is this Wednesday.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

ive been using the other thread as guidance.

looks like i'll be going for the tt in mont st michael(providing it happens) plus a days riding. ferry from portsmouth to caen looks best option.

im very excited, just gotta get married first then tdf becomes priority!

Ride

You can also try an organised cycling tour of the Tour de France. Le Tour has official VIP operators that have access to ride the routes, viewing platforms, and opportunities to meet the a team. Trek Travel and Discover France Adventures are two that come to mind. I've taken a tour with Trek Travel and it was excellent. I'm considering attending in 2014.

Ride

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
ive been using the other thread as guidance.

looks like i'll be going for the tt in mont st michael(providing it happens) plus a days riding. ferry from portsmouth to caen looks best option.

im very excited, just gotta get married first then tdf becomes priority!

portsmouth - le'havre is generally cheaper, but takes in a toll road (if driving)

Portsmouth to St Malo may be the best bet though or fly to Dinard and go from ther.

i know a lovely little (5 bed) self catering place near Laval that could be interesting to stay at and do a CC booking to make it a mass event! lol.

NotAnotherHill

Jifdave, I was there this summer in Paris and although its not the same as being alongside the riders in the alps wearing a crazy costume or virtually nothing, it was a great atmosphere. Lots of people came over last minute as they knew that BW was likely to win. I parked the car on the outskirts of Paris and got the RER (Tube) to the centre. I then sat on the left hand side of the Jardin de Tulliares which they lap every year about 9 times. You can grab a chair from the garden and bring it out to that side while you wait and watch the carnival. If the city isn't for you I would suggest finding out the stages and just going to one and having a short break.

Agree with simon.r. My dad has been into the TdF all his life and I have been following for 20 years, Mr Hamster and I took Dad to the Tdf for his birthday treat this year- we were on that epic climb to La Toussouire and were passed by Bradley in yellow not long before Froome suddenly charged off and then remembered he'd forgotten something! Got a great view of David Millar in his breakaway the following day (Millar eventually winning the stage) as well.

Hotels book up very quickly as, according to a hotel manager we spoke to, they get a tip-off well before the route is released and sponsors or journalists book up then. We stayed in an Etap about an hour from each vantage point and just drove up early on the two days we were heading up the mountains. Loads of people were riding their bikes all or some of the way too.

If you're considering it- just do it- you will not regret it! We didn't really have a clue what to expect and it was fantastic.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

almost certainly going, just trying to figure logistics, rumoured stage 10 and 11 are most likely with a ferry into caen. may even camp to keep the cost down.

simon.r

Person
almost certainly going, just trying to figure logistics, rumoured stage 10 and 11 are most likely with a ferry into caen. may even camp to keep the cost down.

I've combined TDF watching with a family holiday more than once, staying in Eurocamp / Keycamp (or similar) tents or caravans. Find a site within driving / cycling distance of a stage or two and it's great. I had a week here http://www.camping-piscine.com/ the year the TT was up Alpe D'Huez and rode part of two stages in the immediate area. There were literally thousands of cyclists doing the same thing all week.

I cycled up the Peyresourde about 3 hours before the Tdef was due in the opposite direction and was stood for the climb finish yards from the line. Several hundred where ready to follow the tour back down and made to wait approx 20 mins after the last support car had passed. Cars generally appear to be banned about 5 hours before the caravan is due (at the two areas I viewed) but cyclist where allowed upto the last few minutes and inbetween the caravan and the actual tour.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

plan at present is train from folkstone to calais at 5am on 9th drive to st malo to watch the end of stage 9, stay overnight just outside mont st michel watch the tt then drive home.....

Top Bottom