Visual Awareness of Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Neither. I'm just peeved that people, whether individuals or companies come here just to use the Cycle Chat community without giving anything back, of which most of these don't.
How about a rule that if you post a survey, you agree to post a summary of the results to the thread within N weeks of it closing, else @Shaun will send you a suitable bill for the advertising? ;)

And are you 100% sure of that?

University students at least, should be providing contact details for them at the university, with the university details also.

I don't fill out any surveys though unless I have the details of the people wanting the data.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm sure there's a reference posted elsewhere on CC (although I've been unable to pin it down) which explains the limitations of conspicuity clothing, particularly where different colours are needed depending on the surroundings, weather, lighting, sun position, such that you'd need several hi-vis jackets of varying colour for a single commute.

There's also this study which showed no protective effect:

http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/12855/

Conclusion

This study was designed to assess the effect of conspicuity aid use on the risk of crash for commuter and utility cyclists. A slightly greater proportion of cases than controls reported using conspicuity aids. There was therefore a raised odds ratio of collision crash involvement for those using conspicuity aids even after adjustment for a large number of important confounders. The study results do not demonstrate a protective effect as expected given previous work testing the effects of such aids on drivers’ awareness of cyclists and pedestrians. This study demonstrates the importance of understanding why many cyclists remain at risk of collision crash resulting in injury despite the use of conspicuity aids.

(I'm not convinced of the OP's claim to be at school either)

I am not suspicious of this survey. I'm sure it's by a school student.
  1. It conflates collisions and near misses. Collisions are inarguable, everyone has a different idea of what "close to being hit by a car". I put down 2, which is my number of actual collisions. How can they compare my 2 with someone else's 100, all near misses?
  2. They assume all collisions relate to not being seen. The two cars that hit me both saw me perfectly well, they both assumed I was going to move but I didn't (yes, I have altered my behaviour subsequently). And many people have been in collisions by cars that thought they didn't have to give way to cyclists or under estimated the speed. They obviously want to find out if being hit or nearly hit by a car that hadn't seen you affects your desire to spend money on day-glo. This survey will not find that out.

Top Bottom