Vitamin D supplements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
I've been doing quite a bit of winging and moaning lately on here about suffering from feeling low, and totally undermotived about life in general.
My mood has been rock bottom and finding the energy and inthusiasm to do anything has been a struggle.
I'm somewhat of a dinosaur when it comes to health matters and rarely take tablets for anything unless it hurts.
Anyway after my online winging here on Cycling Chat a good member privately messaged me. I won't go into details to show the person respect /privacy, but I was told to try Vitamin D supplements.
It got me thinking about this and started doing some research on it.
As said before , being a Dinosaur towards things leaves me somewhat sceptical that a small tablet a day could improve my general health and mental well being, but reading all the problems Vitamin D deficiency causes really ticked all the boxes with me.
So I've started taking them now every day without fail and must say I'm really starting to feel like my old self again.Energy levels have gone up,and I feel so much more positive.
Working outdoors in the cold has not bothered me as half much and my skin seems to be healing up quicker from cuts and grazes I get from work.
Coincidence it may well be ,but I will continue to take vitamin d supplements and see if things continue to improve
All the very best to you good folk here in Cycle Chat

Definitely worth taking by most people in the UK, at least during the winter months. I would say essential year round in the UK for people with darker-than-fair skin, those who don't (for whatever reason) expose a reasonable area of their skin to the sun on a regular basis and the elderly. As with anything, seek professional medical advice, not mine, and strongly suggest having a listen to this programme if you're wondering, and have a read of this article.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At the start of the pandemic all the ancients in Scotland were prescribed Accrete D3 One a Day 1000mg/880IU tablets. Everyone else was offered a 3 month supply of something similar at the start of last winter.
This is supposed to boost your immunity a bit and help fight the virus if you catch it.
I still get the Accrete on a repeat prescription.

alicat

Legendary Member
I went to the doctors about something or other, having not been for a while. They ran some blood tests 'to check for vitamin D'. The result came back as 'insufficient levels heading towards a deficiency and a prescription arrived by post. Since it was the end of the summer and I had just spent a week walking in Spain, I took it as a clue to keep on taking it for ever.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Vitamin D's one of those things where nobody's quite sure exactly what constitutes a deficiency but a lot of people seem to have not very much of it and it's fantastically difficult to take so much of it to be toxic, so you might as well have a supplement. It might do you some good and it's unlikely to do you any harm.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve been taking it for several years since starting to see a rheumatologist, I’m up to 3000IU after a recent blood test was still a bit low (actually a bit more as it’s also in the multi Vit and omega 3 I take). Rheum said .90%+ in U.K. are low on Vit D especially in winter.
I could definitely do with some sunshine!

Top Bottom