Vittoria Randonneur II Tyre Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diggs

Veteran
Ok I bought a pair of these for the Tricross at the end of Jan after getting a few punctures on the originals.
So they have been on for six months and (checks popular cycling tracking app) 213 miles. Bike is kept indoors
tyre tread.jpg tyre wall.jpg
I'm no expert but I'm not convinced I want to chase any KOMs on these.
Appreciate that they are not the most expensive tyres in the world but would appreciate any thoughts on expected life.Aa little more life than this surely?
Front tyre appears fine.

the snail

Guru
213 miles is crap for any tyre. The sidewall looks like it is only the reinforcement for a dynamo, but that split in the tread doesn't look good - maybe you were just unlucky riding over some glass or flint? If the carcass isn't damaged you could superglue it, but I think I'd bin it rather than be worrying about a blowout - happened to me going down a 1 in four hill recently :eek:

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
213 miles is crap for any tyre. The sidewall looks like it is only the reinforcement for a dynamo, but that split in the tread doesn't look good - maybe you were just unlucky riding over some glass or flint? If the carcass isn't damaged you could superglue it, but I think I'd bin it rather than be worrying about a blowout - happened to me going down a 1 in four hill recently :eek:

Hmmm... I thought the same about the split across the tread, it does look more like a cut into the rubber and could be a coinsidence I just spotted them both at same time. Am worried about the split in the side wall which goes for about 10 inches along the tyre, hoping it's just a one off and I'll replace with same.

I do hope you safely negotiated that blowout, fortunately most of my incidents have at least been on flat terrain (but that's Essex for you).

the side wall doesn't worry me ironically (seen it plenty of times on other makes of tyres with no issues - some of mine have done 5,000 miles with side walls looking like that even on a road bike) but that cut across the tread is not nice - its terminal, bin the tyre.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I agree, the sidewall just looks like bad joining of the rubber sections but it's cosmetic rather than structural. The cut through the middle of the tread however is far more concerning.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
As long as the carcass threads aren't damaged then there's no reason not to use it. The rubber on a tyre has no effect on structural integrity. I've ridden with tyres with the rubber gashed to bits with no adverse issues, just check the the threads of the carcass.

Top Bottom