Vitus Razor Road Bike 2018, any good as entry bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I have been sort of thinking of getting a proper road bike for a while, and this has just come up as a suggestion for me on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vitus-Ra...077754?hash=item25fcccea7a:g:d04AAOSwpJdbTy9s

Are these bikes any good? I found a review in road.cc which seems to indicate it is a reasonable bike.

It says that the brakes are set up with rear on the right and front on the left, in the continental way. I can swap the cables around myself, but I was wondering if there is something more subtle I am missing.

Thank you for your help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try it out and see wgat you think. If not used to roadbikes, best not to buy sight unseen
Vitus is Chain Reactions house brand

It’s certainly a basic spec and fairly weighty for a roadbike

50cm is a fairly small frame assuming that’s the TT measurement (check CRC for geometry)

Good morning,

The new price is around £450 and the listing says; THERE IS NO WARRANTY PROVIDED WITH ANY ITEMS WE LIST and
WE DO NOT ALLOW FOR COLLECTION.

I would be looking at a very very big discount for accepting those terms.

Bye

Ian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're of small stature I'd say its worth a punt for a hundred quid. Worth it for parts alone.
You could swap the brake parts fairly easily.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
Thanks all

I am 1.65m tall, so the frame size should be right for me. I don't plan bidding more than about £100, so not too worried about the warranty, as @Cycleops says, probably the parts alone are worth it. I was wondering if anyone has one of those bikes and what their thoughts are.

Regarding the brakes being cabled the wrong way round, am I correct in thinking that I just need to swap the cables around? I guess it will involve removing the bar tape, but is there anything more subtle I need to consider?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all

I am 1.65m tall, so the frame size should be right for me. I don't plan bidding more than about £100, so not too worried about the warranty, as @Cycleops says, probably the parts alone are worth it. I was wondering if anyone has one of those bikes and what their thoughts are.

Regarding the brakes being cabled the wrong way round, am I correct in thinking that I just need to swap the cables around? I guess it will involve removing the bar tape, but is there anything more subtle I need to consider?
It’s already at £102 with 6 days to go, reckon it’ll go closer to £300

Are there no purchaser reviews on CRC?

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
It’s already at £102 with 6 days to go, reckon it’ll go closer to £300

Are there no purchaser reviews on CRC?

The reviews in CRC are very good, 4.7 out of 5 with 11 reviews, and road.cc said it was a value for money buy. This was mostly an impulse thing, not particularly bothered if I don't get it. Maybe I will look at getting it new from CRC later on in the year if they happen to have an offer.

vickster

Legendary Member
The reviews in CRC are very good, 4.7 out of 5 with 11 reviews, and road.cc said it was a value for money buy. This was mostly an impulse thing, not particularly bothered if I don't get it. Maybe I will look at getting it new from CRC later on in the year if they happen to have an offer.
What’s your budget?
If you want a roadbike, summer is the time to get one...even if prices are a little higher

Last edited:
OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
What’s your budget?
If you want a roadbike, summer is the time to get one...even if prices are a little higher
I don't really have a budget, and am not actually looking for a bike, as I don't have the space for it, just this one popped up with an attractive price, so I wondered if it would be worth a punt.
I initially missread time left in the auction as six hours, so I thought it might go cheap.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't really have a budget, and am not actually looking for a bike, as I don't have the space for it, just this one popped up with an attractive price, so I wondered if it would be worth a punt.
I initially missread time left in the auction as six hours, so I thought it might go cheap.
2 days to go at £137, could stay sub £250

Drago

Legendary Member
Go ride one and see. A lot of it comes down to preference, feel, and performance. At the bottom end of the market that can vary wildly from bike to bike at a given price point, so if you truly want the best performer for your moolah you need to go try them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go ride one and see. A lot of it comes down to preference, feel, and performance. At the bottom end of the market that can vary wildly from bike to bike at a given price point, so if you truly want the best performer for your moolah you need to go try them.
It’s a CRC special so unless the OP is in Ireland or the seller is offering test rides, it’s going to be difficult

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
It’s a CRC special so unless the OP is in Ireland or the seller is offering test rides, it’s going to be difficult
I am more or less local to the seller, but they don't allow for pick up, so don't expect they will do test rides either. Will keep an eye open for a private seller in the area so that I can actually have a look in the flesh, so to speak.

Thanks all for your input.

Top Bottom