VITUS SEVEN / OLMO progress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I am amazed if no a bit ashamed to say that l acquired the Seven frame last July and it has taken me until now to finish it . So my first ride was yesterday . Impressions ....Not the lightest bike in my collection weighing in at 10.45 kg and the ride is to put it politely, firm !
It will find out if you have any loose fillings ^_^
Having said that, it is the shiniest bike l have ....
IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

And to show you that intend to improve my ways , l have started on the Olmo .....just about:whistle:
IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

I like the Vitus. Nice job. The Campag Racing Triple and Stronglight headset is good stuff. Where did you get that headset BTW? I've been looking for one like that or, the bearings and races, for ages.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I like the Vitus. Nice job. The Campag Racing Triple and Stronglight headset is good stuff. Where did you get that headset BTW? I've been looking for one like that or, the bearings and races, for ages.
I was so lucky because the headset came with the frame, l will let you know if l come across one here in France on Le bon coin or local facebook market .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I did see this, not exactly the same but is complete with roller bearings or so it says ....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stronglight-X13-1-roller-bearings-headset/254470600417?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D6ed9977c9b274a82b5f05eab0de776bd%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D254470600417%26itm%3D254470600417%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

RMFrance

I'm intrigued by Olmo, as I drove past the company base in Italy purely by chance while returning from Eroica 2018. Interesting how a personal connection can make the difference between 'just another frame builder' and something special.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I do love elegant pencil stays, though I wonder how they'd cope with good dual-pivot brakes.

I'd imagine they would flex quite a bit under hard braking, especially with a heavy rider and a lot of momentum to dissipate. They are certainly skinny, especially if I compare them to the seat stays on a full 531ST frame I have.
The sort of riders who go fast on racing bikes are not generally going to be big heavy blokes and the bike isn't going to be loaded up with anything except the rider.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I'd imagine they would flex quite a bit under hard braking, especially with a heavy rider and a lot of momentum to dissipate. They are certainly skinny, especially if I compare them to the seat stays on a full 531ST frame I have.
The sort of riders who go fast on racing bikes are not generally going to be big heavy blokes and the bike isn't going to be loaded up with anything except the rider.
Should be no problem for me then with one of those "weirdo" bodies , l'm 1.70 tall and weigh 56 kg on a good day:bicycle:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It has been my intention to fit Campagnolo 8speed hubs with Ambrosio Formula Crono tubular rims to the Olmo. I have a set kicking about my workshop. That is until l started looking for the same set on the internet , phew the prices being asked are nuts . It would be more sensible to sell my wheels and the frame separately . I wouldn't be surprised if they would fetch more than the completed bike . I don"t know what to do now ?
Maybe l should complete the build , ride the bike and then when l need to move it on take the thing apart and sell the components individually ...bonkers :banghead:

Top Bottom