Voice navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I have created a route on map my ride that I have never cycled before. Is there anyway that I can get voice navigation whilst cycling this route? I normally use endomondo when cycling. Many thanks for your help.

:welcome: "IN 200 YARDS YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR DESTINATION"

Did that help? Seriously though, not that I know of, sorry.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Save those long journeys for me car ;)

When in endomondo if you click on "basic workout" There is an option to follow a route. Though I cannot import routes into endomondo (at least I cannot find out how to do this) plus don't know if it will have voice navigation or you just follow it by looking at the screen: which I don't have the luxury of doing when cycling.

Iain Harper

Regular
I have created a route on map my ride that I have never cycled before. Is there anyway that I can get voice navigation whilst cycling this route? I normally use endomondo when cycling. Many thanks for your help.

You could maybe use the "SatNav2" app. Works exactly like a regular satnav but for the iPhone or Android. You'd have to recreate your route in it though.

Answering the question from a completely different angle.... Is it really necessary at all? If it's a long/complex enough ride to need navigation help (without a GPS) perhaps a simple written list of waypoints would be the easiest solution.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
It just means stopping now and the to check directions if they are on paper. I will look into app but the route is quite long and complex and being lazy rather not redo it if possible. It was just a thought and appears from the comments its going to have to stay that way.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Two tips for you to help on this; break the journey in to manageable sections and try committing to memory each destination along the way, landmark, village etc.

Another tip is to list your route on paper, pop in a plastic bag and then secure to your left arm above the wrist (I find under-arm more comfortable), a couple of rubber bands does it. You can then easily glance at the list without stopping.

I've only done Audax twice but watched people doing this so I guess it's established Audax practice. Works well for tours or new rides into unfamiliar territory.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Another tip is to list your route on paper, pop in a plastic bag and then secure to your left arm above the wrist (I find under-arm more comfortable), a couple of rubber bands does it. You can then easily glance at the list without stopping.

Think I will try that. Only thing the route is up could try roads with many turning points and no real landmarks. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Just get yourself a cheap GPS with a 'breadcrumb trail' display and follow the line!

Had a search but haven't been able to find any cheap ones. :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Had a search but haven't been able to find any cheap ones. :sad:
I suppose it depends on your definition of 'cheap'!

Handtec still have the old Garmin Etrex H in stock for just under £60. You'd need a bar mount for about £10. You'd also need a proprietary Etrex-RS232 cable for about £10 and an RS232-USB converter if your computer doesn't have an RS232 port, say another £5. Add some high capacity NiMH AA batteries and a charger and you are looking at under £100 total.

I've been using the predecessor to the 'H' for 6 years and it is great for trouble-free navigation, as long as you plot the routes carefully.

compo

Veteran
I have a very small Binatone sat-nav that lives in my rack-pack. If I need to use it I just type in my destination then slip it into my jersey pocket where I can hear the directions perfectly well. Very rare I use it, but nice to know I have it should I need to.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I suppose it depends on your definition of 'cheap'!

Handtec still have the old Garmin Etrex H in stock for just under £60. You'd need a bar mount for about £10. You'd also need a proprietary Etrex-RS232 cable for about £10 and an RS232-USB converter if your computer doesn't have an RS232 port, say another £5. Add some high capacity NiMH AA batteries and a charger and you are looking at under £100 total.

I've been using the predecessor to the 'H' for 6 years and it is great for trouble-free navigation, as long as you plot the routes carefully.

In garmin territory there though. Especially with the cashback deal they have on at the minute. Thanks for the information though it's a good alternative.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
OsmAnd for android phones has voice navigation. Have a look at this thread - post 18 goes details...

Looks like the ticket thanks Steve. Will give this a try. Only issue I can now see is the battery holding out with this and endomondo running. :confused:

Top Bottom