Volta Cataluna *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thomas fell away pretty quickly at the pointy end of the stage. I hope it's all part of the Giro masterplan but I have my doubts.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Often when people are looking for evidence of Sky's likely doping, they refer to Thomas's "miraculous" transformation from a trackie to a GC contender, but even as a Thomas fan, I've felt that has always been a very generous overestimate of his abilities - sure, he can hold his own against 2nd-tier opposition in the minor stage races, but once the likes of Quintana come out to play, he very quickly gets dropped on the serious climbs. He could have been a genuine GC contender if he'd left the track behind much earlier in his career but it's too late for him now.

Talking of Brits, though, great to see Hugh Carthy holding his own on the final climb.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Talking of Brits, though, great to see Hugh Carthy holding his own on the final climb.
True, though at Cannondale he'll be up against their array of mighty, doughty climbers like Rolland, Tallansky, Woods and Formolo...:whistle:

It's such a shame that ValPiti is easy to dislike. He's ripped this race apart despite being docked a minute. Remarkable rider.

400bhp

Guru
I do wonder whether froome has had some illness earlier in the season as I find it odd he's riding without his tour team around him?

Also i think Movistar are looking as strong as they have ever looked. The one doubt in my mind is whether valpiti is going to play second fiddle in quintanas bid for 2 GTs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Eurosport captured Teejay the Gardener taking his helmet off today at 52km to go...tut, tut.

I wonder how many minutes punishment that will attract...
Did it attract any? The UCI is on rather shaky ground with the helmet rule, given how dodgily it was brought in and its utter failure to prevent further deaths as promised, plus the flouting of it by a large range of riders (I think Contador holds the record for longest unpunished bare-headed ride with 10km a few years ago?).

Top Bottom