vomit yellow frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
scarygerbil

scarygerbil

That looks like it may be a possibility. This is my Schwinn from roughly the same period and it does share certain similarities, especially the little nub behind the head tube. Fork crowns vary though. My badge is riveted on and I can see the holes in your pic. Rear drops are the same style.

View attachment 374271 View attachment 374272 View attachment 374273
thanks its not the lightest frame but thinking I could use it as a gravel bike as I have an old huffy with a shimano eagle derailors I could use

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
View attachment 374276
This is the bike. Lovely ride from the cro-mo frame. I forgot to mention no makings on the BB. The only variance is that my frame has fluted top seat stays, although yours might be caked with paint.
@Gravity Aided might be able to offer some help here.
That is a Schwinn Traveler from the mid-1980's, with True Temper tubing, Pretty light for a Schwinn from that time period. Schwinn was trying to up their game at this time, and also made a number of bicycles from Columbus tubing, like the Prelude, Passage,(a tourer) Premis(frame only, IIRC)and Voyageur, among others. That bike has been repainted a couple of times, it appears,
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/index.html
Wild guess, seeing the remains of the rather unique seat tube bands, if this is a Schwinn, it may be like @Cycleops ' 1983 Traveler.
1983Ltwt10.jpg

Anything at this stage of the game may be a wild guess. I might also mention that an American brand, Huffy, owned and did American distribution for Raleigh at this time, in a failed attempt to stop producing crap bicycles. But this does appear to be a Schwinn or a Trek from this time period, although Trek, in the 1980's, would have had a shield shaped head badge, but a later Trek may have had round, as their head badge has gone through many evolutions. Have you tried looking for the serial # on the rear dropout, just below the seat stay on the port side? It could also be on the seat tube collar. Stripping the paint will be necessary, and the serial number may provide clues as to the origins of the bicycle.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
thanks its not the lightest frame but thinking I could use it as a gravel bike as I have an old huffy with a shimano eagle derailors I could use
At a pinch you could build it as a gravel bike but your problems would be two fold. The biggest section tyres the frame can handle will not be in excess of 28c. It will also have quite a short wheelbase with close clearances so will be a little twitchy on the rough.

OP
OP
scarygerbil

scarygerbil

I was thinking of using a gt frame just got to find one I like.
after youre advice I will build this up in its original guise

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
GTs rule! Higher end GT MTBS would be pretty good for gravel, older ones with cantilever brakes would be easier for a drop bar conversion.

Top Bottom