Vote for cycling on telegraph debate2010 site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozatron

Torygraph is running a debate site in the run up to the election - so far very few ideas have had more than a few dozens of votes...

People talk about this being the mumsnet election...what about the cyclechat election.

Please vote for (or indeed against...) this idea http://bit.ly/dCBhDM

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

And indeed - post your own ideas and link back here...

chap

Veteran
Hmm, that was a rather short-lived debate (entries are closed.) Ah well, we almost beat 'improve IT'. This perhaps highlights/perputrates the 'myth' about your average Telegraph reader, and about the public's consideration of cyclists.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Would have voted on that myself if it was still running.

Made me laugh in the other poll that suggested we should build more roads... would like to know where? This isnt Beijing. ;):wacko:

chap

Veteran
downfader said:
Sorry, was refering to the many houses they knocked down in the run up to the 2008 olympics, including building a massive highway. Other than that, yes, very bike friendly. My brother has been there and said its like an asian Amsterdam but a bit more hectic

Wow, I missed that one by a mile! :thumbsup:

Although I do like the presentation there: many peoples homes were destroyed for a fleeting gesture, and a huge inaccessible monument to a somewhat dubious definition of progress put in their midst...other than that :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Reading that reminded me that increased cycling doesnt always remove congestion....you have to put in better infrastructure, cyclelanes, whatever.
I used to see the chaos in Newark, Nottinghamshire in the late 60s, early 70s when the RHP bearing factory used to turn out.....hundreds and hundreds of bikes all weaving their way through town....the whole place used to slow down to cycling speed, cars and all :smile:

Imagine that all the time !!!:smile:

dondare

Über Member
gbb said:
Reading that reminded me that increased cycling doesnt always remove congestion....you have to put in better infrastructure, cyclelanes, whatever.
I used to see the chaos in Newark, Nottinghamshire in the late 60s, early 70s when the RHP bearing factory used to turn out.....hundreds and hundreds of bikes all weaving their way through town....the whole place used to slow down to cycling speed, cars and all :smile:

Imagine that all the time !!!:smile:

The point of increasing the number of cyclists is that it decreases, by exactly the same amount, the number of people traveling by other methods. So more bikes = fewer cars = less congested roads.

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

dondare said:
The point of increasing the number of cyclists is that it decreases, by exactly the same amount, the number of people traveling by other methods. So more bikes = fewer cars = less congested roads.

Exactly! Imagine if all of those people had come out of the factory in their cars.

Telegraph have opened another debate...this one open for another five days or so...i've basically posted the same idea under "health" - hopefully we can get a few more votes this time...

http://debate2010.telegraph.co.uk/ideaView?id=087A000000003EaIAI

Please vote (if indeed you agree...)

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

Now in the

How far should the next government go to moving Britain to a low carbon economy?

Debate please feel free to vote for my very similar idea

Promote Cycling instead of Driving

A huge proportion of the CO2 emissions are produced by cars - an investment of just £10 / person / year would give us a cycling infrastructure to rival countries like Denmark and the Netherlands.

Not only would we see a reduction in carbon emissions - especially in densely populated areas like the Thames Valley where air quality is so poor - but we'd also improve health and reduce obesity.

Click this link to vote if you agree!

http://bit.ly/bG5vdl

Thanks...

Top Bottom