Vredestein all weather tyres (not)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adyc

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi, I have posted before regarding these tyres and I praised the. Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I have done approx 300 miles on them an this is the result attached.
The rear has 2 splits on the surface and the front has a split in the sidewall.
I know that during winter the tyres take more punishment than summer, but as these are advertised as winter tyres then I would expect a longer life than what they have given me.
I contacted the shop that I purchased them from, but was just told that it was wear and tear so no joy there.
Could just be bad luck but very disappointed .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 61

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
300 miles? I think that would put them into the 'not fit for purpose' category and get in touch with the manufacturer.
Looks like they're made of cheese if they've gone like that already.

AndyRM

XOXO
Other than the large cut they look fine to me so there's not really much you can do. Just one of those (incredibly annoying) things that happens.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They're supposed to be "Excellent" on the scale on http://www.vredestein.com/two-wheel-tyres/anti-puncture-systems according to http://www.vredestein.com/two-wheel-tyres/race/competition-line/fortezza-senso-all-weather/info/ (if I've understood which tyre you're using).

Are the rear tread cuts all the way through, or stopped by the protection? I'd expect "Excellent" to withstand most stabs but it'll still look ugly until you put a bit of liquid rubber in the cut.

The sides aren't protected - that's the risk you take in exchange for a more supple tyre. If you live somewhere prone to sidewall-stabs, go for the equivalent of Vredestein's "Full" protection (Schwalbe's "Plus"?).

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

Emailed supplier who says "wear and tear so not under warranty" so no joy there. The cuts on the surface are down to the protection belt so I could risk keep riding with them but would be forever worrying about punctures. The sidewall is through to the inner tube so that def cant be good.
Was thinking about putting some tape on the inside of the sidewall to protect ?
In the meantime though I`ve ordered some new tyres anyway. Just a bit peeved about the result in such a short time though.
Oh well, live and learn I guess.
Roll on the summertime !
£10.00 for the pair if anyone wants them !!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why not fill the cuts with the glue from a puncture kit?

I'd call the sidewall damage fatal but I may be wrong.

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

Think the sidewall damage has all but killed the tyre, may try the surface splits with a bit of glue in them. Just a bit p**sed about having to but a new pair so quickly.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Road race tyres and you complaining that the winter debris (that you know about) has damaged them? I'm sorry but I'm confused, you know that roads seem to have more tyre damaging crap on them - yet you buy a race tyre?

Surely M+ would have been more sensible? In regards to the damage, tbh it's what I'd expect from a race tyre used in winter. The sidewall damaged tyre is dead - if you value your safety that is.

Edit: you say they're advertised as winter tyres and infer this means they're tougher. From the information about them on various sites they seem to be a grippier option for winter - ergo you can have more confidence in high speed corners.

That is clearly a glass cut on the thread and probably a pinch cut on the sidewall. Riding on roads where glass is present is a lottery in spite of your tyres. Further, there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, no matter what the manufacturer claims. Think about it for a minute: Tyres are constructed by wrapping some fine cord over a mould and over two hoops made from wire or a type of cord. Then rubber is moulded over it. How do you expect sharp objects not to penetrate? I've heard some people say that the weave is made of Kevlar and therefore puncture-proof. Not so, would you put a piece of cloth weaved from Kevlar on your arm and then stab at it with a sharp object and expect it not to penetrate? How's the rubber going to help?
Further, riding on wet roads lubricates the little glass slivers and help them cut through within a couple of revolutions. How well water lubricates rubber is something well understood by people who work in laboratories. Rubber Bunsen burner tube is difficult to cut unless you cut it under water, then the knife just glides through it. Same with glass and wet roads. Wet roads also camoflauges the glass so you can't evade it.

The only way you can protect (not proof) yourself against glass is to have tyres that are thicker than the average slivers of glass. Problem is, such tyres are very sluggish and hard to pedal.

Top Bottom