Vuelta a España 2012 (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it wrong to ask whether that was believable, or am I too jaded by the LA thread ?
Jaded. This is a dope free thread. :tongue:

thom

____
I think that was just great riding. I can't believe he'd be on summat in his first big race after his ban. If he was on the juice he would've blown JRod off days ago.
Yeah, I didn't see it all but it seems JRod and team had a lot of defensive work to do early on, he got isolated and Contador finally had an advantage on this type of stage with the tactics he executed.
Tiralongo's (sp?) help was perhaps unexpected but crucial.

tigger

Über Member
Well that wasn't expected. Switched on too late to see the crucial moves. Looking forward to the highlights...

Noodley

Spanish TV missed it, not a single bit of footage of the move - how the feck did they manage that!!?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is it wrong to ask whether that was believable, or am I too jaded by the LA thread ?
Doping doesn't make racing exciting, as recent history shows it is more likely to kill it stone dead as juiced up teams ride tempo at the front all day. You can never guarantee the big hitters are doing it all on mineral water, but there's more chance of that now than there ever has been.

thom

____
Spanish TV missed it, not a single bit of footage of the move - how the feck did they manage that!!?
Siesta .. ?
I think the stage was at a bonkers pace, starting out at something like 48km/h so maybe they just got to the interesting bits much earlier than expected. A bit of a mistake for sure.

thom

____
Doping doesn't make racing exciting, as recent history shows it is more likely to kill it stone dead as juiced up teams ride tempo at the front all day. You can never guarantee the big hitters are doing it all on mineral water, but there's more chance of that now than there ever has been.
Well, I was listening to a Bike show interview with Ned Boulting today who recounted the day Landis did his solo stuff back in the day. Apparently he doped himself with contaminated blood the day before.
Nuff said on this for now though - Contador's reputation precedes him and he has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, I was listening to a Bike show interview with Ned Boulting today who recounted the day Landis did his solo stuff back in the day. Apparently he doped himself with contaminated blood the day before.
Nuff said on this for now though - Contador's reputation precedes him and he has to live with that for the rest of his life.

I remember Landis on that day, and he looked completely psycho. The text commentary mentions Contador looking really knackered during his escape today. Whether he was on something or not, it almost certainly wasn't of Landis levels.

Rob500

Just caught on the ITV4+1 highlights that JRod didn't get on his bike at all during the rest day. I'm relatively new to this but is that not a big no no?

I thought the same myself. Even with Eurosport live coverage of the Vuelta, only the last 30-40km is covered and the break today was so epic that the crucial move started way before and the coverage this afternoon, and I was at home to see most of it, seemed to have Contador in a break with 12 or so others and then the next thing you knew, they'd split into two groups with the chasing group being Valverde's. And that was it. It would have been interesting to have seen Rod's reaction when the break first occured.

Saying all that, this was exemplary and it's great to see someone attacking like this and holding off. He truly is a fantastic rider and aside the many attacks that have failed in the mountains, he took his chance today and has surely won the tour.

Feel sorry for Rodriguez though, but what a race.

Top Bottom