Vuelta a España 2012 (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Very interesting. They've definitely looked slower up the climbs, and seem to be suffering more, but it's good to see some numbers to provide a little more objective analysis.

d.
Yes it is good to see the numbers appearing human now. At the end yesterday Valverde was on Contador's tail and Rodriguez appears to have fallen down because he didn't get up on the rest day, so it wasn't an implausible conclusion but such a spectacular stage, well it just makes me a bit sceptical.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Well, initially, it was the failure of Rodriguez and his team-mates to respond to Contador's move that allowed him to get away and open the gap. That was just a lack of tactical nous on Katusha's part.

Then Contador got help from others in the breakaway group - not only team-mates but the likes of Tiralongo too - while Rodriguez got absolutely no help at all, especially not from Valverde.

This also explains why Valverde was able to ride away from Rodriguez and chase down Contador towards the end. Plus Valverde had team-mates to assist him in the chase, while Rodriguez was left with two Saxo riders just sitting on his wheel, sapping his morale for mile after mile.

When you look at it that way, it's not only plausible that Rodriguez lost so much time, but to his credit that he managed to limit the losses to two minutes - he did seem to be rallying a bit towards the end and as Contador visibly tired, at least Rodriguez managed to stop the gap getting any bigger.

So, all very believable and not necessarily indicative of Team Saxo having enjoyed a nice barbecue on the rest day.

But not proof that they're riding clean either.

That's my take on it, anyway.

d.

400bhp

Guru
Felt a bit sorry for Purito yesterday. It seemed like he was up against everyone.

Was it Hernandez that finished behind him and gave a sporting equivalent of a Nelson Muntz (ha ha)? :sad:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I like Contador, sure he has doping history but he's a brave agressive rider who makes things happen. And he stood up to a treacherous backstabbing bastard of a team-mate who was doing everything he could to lose him the '09 Tour.

No names, but this guy tried everything he could to Yank the yellow jersey from him.
Did that some one also use strong arm tactics?

montage

God Almighty
Good effort by Swifty, possibly his best chance at a stage victory as Degenklob was out of the picture for the sprint.... and the sky train wasn't bad, did more or less all it could have

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Did that some one also use strong arm tactics?
Yep, even stuck a lance in Alberto's back.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Great finish by Gilbert who is looking a bit more likely for the world champs.
I thought Swifty was going to win one but the line was further away than I thought.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This is looking so tasty today. Nasty steep finish. Valverde looking twitchy and wanting to go... Such a great race this year, really enjoying it. Porte or Menchov for the win? My money's on Porte.

Top Bottom