VW T. Cross - anyone got one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mrs SD is in the process of finalising an order for one of these - Black Edition 110.

The 95 drove well on the test drive but she wanted more low down ooomph being a lazy gear changer.

Very well equipped with stacks of safety kit, nice and comfy and plenty of room for 4 let alone the regular just the two of us.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any real life experience of them.

CXRAndy

Guru
Glacial slow acceleration, buy an EV, easy 4-6 secs faster to 0-60mph.

It probably is a GDI engine so will carbon up the valve train before 70k miles.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Glacial slow acceleration, buy an EV, easy 4-6 secs faster to 0-60mph.

It probably is a GDI engine so will carbon up the valve train before 70k miles.

Did all that whizzing about stuff decade's back with a succession of hot hatches and then E Class and 5 Series with more bhp than made sense. And then I grew up or grew old depending on perspective.

The lower powered test car felt fine and I don't recollect being at any disadvantage to the surrounding traffic in the couple of hours we had it for. Mrs SD moaned that it didn't go up a very twisty and steep hill in 3rd like her Up Gti does but then she is a lazy gear changer.

No idea about the engine type being direct injection or not and tbh I have no interest either. If it had problems at 70k miles cest le vie. We'll keep it 3 or 4 years and then px it with no more than 9-12k miles on it.

Not really interested in EV's until they come down to a more acceptable price re vfm.

CXRAndy

Guru
I think you maybe waiting quite a while for a significant price drop for EVs. They are the latest highly desirable purchase, considering huge fuel costs, which I doubt will ever drop to pre Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
It is a GDI engine. Oh dear, keep adding fuel additive to clean the valves

Screenshot_20220420-122545_Chrome.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
How does fuel additive clean the valves when a GDI engine never puts any fuel near the valves (which is a big part of the supposed issue with GDI engines, although they are now mainstream and largely reliable)?

CXRAndy

Guru
How does fuel additive clean the valves when a GDI engine never puts any fuel near the valves (which is a big part of the supposed issue with GDI engines, although they are now mainstream and largely reliable)?

Apologies, I meant to have additives by having the engine flushes through the air inlet

potsy

Rambler

I have its slightly bigger brother the Troc, lovely car, comfortable, nice and easy to drive (mine is an auto)
Not the most economical compared to my previous car (Golf) but OK on decent runs...
Like you I'm not interested in electric until the infrastructure is better and maybe they come down to more affordable prices..

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I think you maybe waiting quite a while for a significant price drop for EVs. They are the latest highly desirable purchase, considering huge fuel costs, which I doubt will ever drop to pre Russian invasion of Ukraine.
They might be highly desirable purchases to you and some other folk but they aren't to us and quite a few people we know.

In fact, for us, no car is a highly desirable purchase - it's just a car to get us from A to B; it's not something we are likely to swoon over.

It is a GDI engine. Oh dear, keep adding fuel additive to clean the valves

View attachment 640958
What do you mean 'oh dear'? Sounds like you think I'm bothered.

A quick Google shows that many car manufacturers use Gdi engines so no big deal.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I have its slightly bigger brother the Troc, lovely car, comfortable, nice and easy to drive (mine is an auto)
Not the most economical compared to my previous car (Golf) but OK on decent runs...
Like you I'm not interested in electric until the infrastructure is better and maybe they come down to more affordable prices..

Thank you. Nice car the T. Roc and the new Taigo looks nice to me although Mrs SD didn't like the slopey back.

We like VW's and get good service from our dealership too - we've had Golf Gti, Passat and Up Gti from them and they have all done a good job of hauling us around.

CXRAndy

Guru
A quick Google shows that many car manufacturers use Gdi engines so no big deal.

In the quest to meet ever tightening emissions, manufacturers have gone to direct in cylinder fuelling rather than air inlet plenum. This alleges to give better control of combustion. The downside is the fuel no longer washes the inlet valves keeping them from coking up with carbon. But who cares right, the car is a tiny bit more efficient.

The customer can have the repair headache down the line, just like my brother in-law, with his carboned up VW Touran needing a new ERG valve, and turbo, costing several thousand at 50k miles on his 2019 model.

CXRAndy

Guru
Coking up of intakes is caused by egr systems, partially alleviated by port fuelling. Going GDI has allowed a more rapid coking of the inlet tract.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Port injection can only clean up the inlet tract between the injector and the combustion chamber. This distance is kept deliberately as short as possible to improve fuelling precision. Port injectors are after the turbo and EGR, so will have no impact on them. Only the inlet valves get a washing benefit and inlet valve deposits are the issue with GDI, not coked up turbos or EGRs.

Inlet deposits can be exacerbated by EGR, or can come from crankcase breather recirculation, which has been around far longer than EGR. These are driven by a combination of combustion deposits and oil deposits.

Stephenite

Membå
Mrs SD is in the process of finalising an order for one of these - Black Edition 110.

The 95 drove well on the test drive but she wanted more low down ooomph being a lazy gear changer.

Very well equipped with stacks of safety kit, nice and comfy and plenty of room for 4 let alone the regular just the two of us.

Sorry @SpokeyDokey but why are you bothering with a manual gear?

Top Bottom