VW T. Cross - anyone got one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sorry - not sure why you are asking that question?

Me neither as I like a manual change and have never fancied an automatic for some reason.

Stephenite

Membå
Sorry - not sure why you are asking that question?

The ‘sorry’ bit was because you’ve probably already made your mind up, and I’m not really answering the original post. The rest of the question was in reference to Mrs SD being, as you said, a lazy gear changer. Would she not prefer an automatic?

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The ‘sorry’ bit was because you’ve probably already made your mind up, and I’m not really answering the original post. The rest of the question was in reference to Mrs SD being, as you said, a lazy gear changer. Would she not prefer an automatic?

Thanks - I see where you are coming from.

Mrs SD is happy with a manual shift providing it has some low down heft mainly on the steeper inclines where we live.

Cerdic

We have some of these on our fleet.

I wouldn’t know about engine problems at 50 to 70 thousand miles as we get rid between 12 to 20 thousand.

As a means of transport they are perfectly fine. Usual VW stuff - feel refined, controls are precise, interior well built but bit bland, bit dull to drive, bit pricier to run than other mainstream brands.

If you’ve got a good dealer then that is a major reason to get one!

Personally, I wouldn’t have any VW that has their new-type controls that consist of a flat bit of plastic that you have to put your finger on. Nothing moves, like a button does, so just to change the temperature you end up stabbing at the dash while trying to keep an eye on the road! Absolutely abysmal design. I wouldn’t have one if I was given it for free. The latest Golfs and Passats have it, but the TCross might still have the normal switchgear.

Oh, and I agree with whoever it was above. If you have a ‘lazy gearchanger’ an auto would seem to be an obvious option?

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

We have some of these on our fleet.

I wouldn’t know about engine problems at 50 to 70 thousand miles as we get rid between 12 to 20 thousand.

As a means of transport they are perfectly fine. Usual VW stuff - feel refined, controls are precise, interior well built but bit bland, bit dull to drive, bit pricier to run than other mainstream brands.

If you’ve got a good dealer then that is a major reason to get one!

Personally, I wouldn’t have any VW that has their new-type controls that consist of a flat bit of plastic that you have to put your finger on. Nothing moves, like a button does, so just to change the temperature you end up stabbing at the dash while trying to keep an eye on the road! Absolutely abysmal design. I wouldn’t have one if I was given it for free. The latest Golfs and Passats have it, but the TCross might still have the normal switchgear.

Oh, and I agree with whoever it was above. If you have a ‘lazy gearchanger’ an auto would seem to be an obvious option?

'Normal' switchgear for the aircon.

Incredible amount of safety systems built into it for a £25k OTR car.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

At last - our T.Cross is now in the country in a port down south.

Should be on our drive week after next after a 5 month wait which is not too bad in today's climate.

Will be sorry to see the Up Gti go as that has been fun to drive - we did think about keeping it tbh but with the mileage we do (2-3000 pa) it would've been a waste.

mustang1

Legendary Member
'Normal' switchgear for the aircon.

Incredible amount of safety systems built into it for a £25k OTR car.

You'll need the safety systems with those weird touch sensor controls! Just kidding. Btw do these new cars have those hand gesture controls?

gbb

Legendary Member
Regarding GDI, it depends.
My Mazda, at 45k miles shows no symptoms, I hope it stays that way and reading Mazda forums, it probably will, it is quite hard to find any posts from members with coking up stories, even on cars with significantly higher mileages.
Why ?...because apparently Mazda had forseen this and manage the engine to run hotter, thus burning off deposits as they form .

I have no idea if this is correct but hope its true. Remember, there are now millions of cars, the majority of new ones now with GDI technology, there's a lot of scare stories but I haven't talked to one person who has actually suffered from it. That's just my experience of course.
Also, some manufacturers (Toyota for instance) are now combining both technologies, GDI and port injection, to get the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

You'll need the safety systems with those weird touch sensor controls! Just kidding. Btw do these new cars have those hand gesture controls?

It doesn't have touch sensor controls but does have hand gesture (limited to infotainment).

Also doesn't have an electronic handbrake which is a plus point imo.

Other than that it has heaps of safety tech' which was part of the reason for buying this model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Had this 3 weeks now and it is lovely; all the car we will ever need.

Had some fancy (company) cars in our time but this is one of the nicest and a long way from the most expensive.

Very comfy, quiet and nippy enough on the motorways.

Lots and lots of kit on it too.

Fuel consumption on 200 mile round trip of 48.1mpg - includes long spells of pdq driving on the (quiet and good conditions) motorways that we used.

Usual VW build quality - not a squeak, rattle, groan etc to be heard.

Nice surprise was the digital dash as the demonstrator we tried was analogue - VW just changed it before ours was built.

Colour (Ascot Grey) which is more taupe to our eyes is getting a good reception - looks cool and far nicer than in the pic'.

Worth considering if you are in the market for a compact 2wd SUV.
IMG_20220922_113454~2.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
The customer can have the repair headache down the line, just like my brother in-law, with his carboned up VW Touran needing a new ERG valve, and turbo, costing several thousand at 50k miles on his 2019 model.

I know the post is old but why wasn't that covered under warranty?

Top Bottom