W Hinds (Clapham London) information needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisbro77

Hi, at the moment I have 3 vintage road bikes. 1 Allin, 1 Hinds and 1 Jack Taylor Tandem.

The Allin and Jack Taylor all seem to have a following and information about frame numbers etc etc but the Hinds couldn't of been a volume builder.

How long were they building frame for ?

The bike I have was my late fathers and has a number of 1169 on the bottom bracket, which I assume means NOVEMBER 1969 but I have seen pictures of another Hinds that has a number of 6611 but the owner says its a 1961. Im very much unsure because i've always been led to believe that my father had the bike in his twenties so in the 1950's.

There's just annoyingly very little information about this v.good frame builder.

Hope people can help.

chris

classic33

Leg End Member
"Terry Starr-Marshall and his school friends were regulars at the shop in the mid 1950s. Money was tight and he could not afford to buy an Ephgrave, so a George Brooks frame was the next best thing at £12 10s. Terry was a member of the Norian Road Club whose headquarters were not far away in a church near Wightman Road. A number of his friends also bought George Brooks framesets, which seem to have been a simple choice between a road or track model and probably all made at that time with the ubiquitous Nervex Pro lugs (no others with different lugs have so far come to light for the Harringay models) and therefore they are difficult to identify without corroborating evidence. A choice of brazings was clearly available to customers’ specification as well as chrome. It is thought that the shop opened around c1951 until 1957 when it was sold to Dave Davey who had been the manager of the local Claud Butler branch since the 1940s (see Dave Davey web page) The old CB shop was taken over by W.Hinds (Sports & Cycles) Ltd who also acquired the Lewisham branch."
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/george-brooks.html

Also on here W Hinds

Now the jewellers, F. Hinds!!

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/165825/

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
When i asked a framebuilder once he said if the new owner wanted there lucky number stamping on there then thats what he would do , so it can be a minefield trying to date a frame .

some never stamped all frames as they didnt want the tax man knowing how many frames they made and sold

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When i asked a framebuilder once he said if the new owner wanted there lucky number stamping on there then thats what he would do , so it can be a minefield trying to date a frame .

some never stamped all frames as they didnt want the tax man knowing how many frames they made and sold
My 653 TT bike has no numbers on it (and has been 'de-badged') so I've not got a clue who made it even.

Top Bottom