W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I've fitted Crud guards to my Roubaix most winters and agree that they do make a difference but don't like them, they are hard to fit and keep from rubbing, they rattle and the front one worries me by flapping around at speed and I'm pretty sure they slow the bike down a little through wind resistance.
That's the downside of the easy-on-easy-off guards. If you have properly fitted close clearance mudguards there is some evidence that they provide a fairing effect and don't negatively impact aerodynamics - and that's before you get to them being rub and rattle free.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's the downside of the easy-on-easy-off guards. If you have properly fitted close clearance mudguards there is some evidence that they provide a fairing effect and don't negatively impact aerodynamics - and that's before you get to them being rub and rattle free.
These are the very close-fitting Crud road guards, so close fitting that it can take a bit of time to stop them rubbing. They protect bike and rider well but what alarms me about them is the way the front guard wobbles so much at speed that the stays actually clatter against the spokes! You think the whole thing is about to fold and jam the wheel.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My Allez was also the first road bike I bought in 2010. It is a great bike and still enjoy riding it although I tend to use it more as a winter bike now .
When I go back to it , when the summer is over, it is always a joy to rediscover what a good bike it is.

Gunk

Guru

This is the latest one, it was a cruddy commuter.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Another long-term Allez rider here. Bought mine back in 2009 as my one-and-only-everything bike. It as taken me on all my 100 mile rides (10, now), through the snow and ice (a bit crazy, that one), floods (this year), over hard knott and wrynose, and through rain and shine. I've had a wet weather bike for a number of years now, so it has been relegated to fun rides (Audax, sportive, long social and commuting in the dry). I've upgraded the 2300 groupset to 105, and is now much better, but the saddle, frame and handlebars remain unchanged.

I would replace it but:
a) can't bear to part with it as we have been through too much pain and joy together to part.
b) can't justify an upgrade.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see the latest model has a double up front, effectively the two smaller rings of a mountain triple.

Makes sense because a dinner plate ring at the front isn't much use on a mountain bike.

Two rings at the front means it can get away with a 9 speed 11-36 at the back, which is still relatively cheap to replace compared to modern wide range cassettes.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not an Allez, but my Specialized Secteur Sport is similar. Was heavily discounted and I got one of the last new ones available, at £450.
It's a great bike to ride, and has had a few upgrades over the years (from Sora to Tiagra, Shimano RS20 wheelset). It shares the same frame as the flat barred Sirrus, so I tend to chop and change the bars and shifters when I feel like a change. Currently it's in flat bar mode but might change it for the summer....

Top Bottom