Wages Today......quite staggering when you think about it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My grandaughter is 16 and at college. She has just got a weekend job as a 'house keeper' in a sheltered home type place.
£9.00 PER HOUR :eek:.
When I was 15 I worked 40 hours a week for £4.50 (thats £4 10 shillings in real money). Its hard to equate that.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My grandaughter is 16 and at college. She has just got a weekend job as a 'house keeper' in a sheltered home type place.
£9.00 PER HOUR :eek:.
When I was 15 I worked 40 hours a week for £4.50 (thats £4 10 shillings in real money). Its hard to equate that.
But Mars bars were big back then, and cost 3d... :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The drive for constant growth and inflation makes comparisons a waste of time. Austerity and pay cuts/ pay freezes since 2007/8 mean people in work are far worse off than they were in 2006 despite low inflation levels. The diversity between the haves and have-nots is growing.

A living wage to independently support a family in the UK is beginning to be out of reach to working families and is resulting directly to levels of poverty not seen since the Great Depression and the Industrial Revolution.

Many people are living a nightmare caused by a lack of cash to avoid falling into debt before their next pay-day.... personal debt across the UK spiralling.

People often choose not to know how bad it is.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Apprentice printer c1967 £4 a week.

I had to buy my season ticket into London from Eltham Park out of that, too.. 🚉

carlosfandangus

Über Member
First real job as an apprentice bricklayer in 1979 was £22.50 for a 39 hr week, before that i worked in a fishing tackle shop as a schoolboy, 4 hrs Friday and 12 on a Saturday for £7, 16 hrs at 43.75 pence per hour! I did get free bait for a days fishing on a Sunday though.

First real job as an apprentice bricklayer in 1979 was £22.50 for a 39 hr week, before that i worked in a fishing tackle shop as a schoolboy, 4 hrs Friday and 12 on a Saturday for £7, 16 hrs at 43.75 pence per hour! I did get free bait for a days fishing on a Sunday though.
By coincidence my first paid work was digging up ragworms in Poole and selling them to the grockles at 1p a pop. I never told HMRC :laugh:

Top Bottom