Wahoo Bolt - going off route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaun75

Über Member
What happens when you ignore the route you are following?
I know mine beeps to let me know I've missed a turn but I've always rejoined fairly quickly.
But what about if you stay off route? I know it doesn't re-route itself. Does it eventually stop beeping, does it let you abandon route but keep recording? Do you need to use the app mid ride to overide the unit?

rivers

How far can I go?
You can go onto the route page and select "quit route" or something to that effect while still recording. If you don't, and end up back on route, it will resume giving you directions. It does eventually stop beeping however

I have used an Elemnt for 3 years (same operating system as the bolt) and rarely stay on a route. It stops beeping after, I think 3 warnings, but the route remains "active" - I mean you can rejoin it any any time.
(In settings in the app you can specify to deactivate sounds if you like).

Your ride stays recording unless you tell it to stop.
You can, for example, end the route on the unit and have a choice to end ride or not (ride is what it records).
You can then load a new route or continue with no route - still recording the ride.
If you want you can create a new route on the app, send it to the unit and continue the ride.

You can even turn off the unit (for a long break), turn it on and see your ride reloading from memory. Once loaded you can resume.

OP
OP
S

shaun75

Über Member
Your ride stays recording unless you tell it to stop.
You can, for example, end the route on the unit and have a choice to end ride or not (ride is what it records).
You can then load a new route or continue with no route - still recording the ride.
If you want you can create a new route on the app, send it to the unit and continue the ride.
You can even turn off the unit (for a long break), turn it on and see your ride reloading from memory. Once loaded you can resume.

Great! Thanks to you all for clearing that up

geocycle

Legendary Member
+1 for turning the beep off! Mine now only does it when I get a text or when it first connects. When I go off couse it flashes a few times but then gives up gracefully.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It stops beeping very quickly. Your original planned route stays on the screen as a dark line. To get back on route just head in the direction of the dark line. When you hit the route again. You get a series of red flashes and then the green flashes. The black arrow track then reappears.
Go out and play with it

PaulSB

Legendary Member
All of the above cover your query. Just one other small point, which does irritate me, the last on-screen instruction stays in place. One can ride for miles being told to turn left on Shaun Road 😉

It would be nice if the instruction disappeared after a specific period.

It would be nice if the instruction disappeared after a specific period.

You could always end the route (not the ride) and reload the route when necessary.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You could always end the route (not the ride) and reload the route when necessary.
Yes, and Wahoo is very good at picking up position quickly when reloading a route.

Had fun on Sunday, I started with a group of five following a basic route I created five years ago. I deliberately varied it and rejoined later three times to add miles and interest. Each time Wahoo picked up our position and showed the chevrons immediately.

Yes, and Wahoo is very good at picking up position quickly when reloading a route.

Had fun on Sunday, I started with a group of five following a basic route I created five years ago. I deliberately varied it and rejoined later three times to add miles and interest. Each time Wahoo picked up our position and showed the chevrons immediately.
it is very handy. I rarely stay on a preplanned course and hop on and off with ease.
I've made routes that are several hundreds if not thousands of kms long and hop on and off daily with no issues.
It is also really good when routes cross over themselves (a figure eight type thing) and "knows" which line to follow. I remember trying that on a Garmin touring a few years ago - the poor machine almost blew up! ^_^

as @steveindenmark says, the best thing is to play around with the unit to get a feel for what it does well - and not so well.

I'd normally use cycle.travel to plan routes and don't need turn by turn directions so download the simple gpx file - no annoying on screen messages when I go off route.

Top Bottom