Wahoo Bolt or Garmin Edge 520 Plus ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Which unit is better?
I know they both offer the same thing pretty much... so perhaps looking for an answer who owns both.

The main thing is the performance... lag-free and doesn't crash or corrupt files.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
DC rainmaker did a review of the Garmin basically Garmin better at maps and nav wahoo more data centric if I remember rightly

Nebulous

Guru
It's been a game of leapfrog as far as I can make out. I have a garmin 1000, which was an expensive bit of kit but it has been problematic all along, including leaking in wet weather. Wahoo came along and stole Garmin's lunch, a lot of people I talk to on long-distance rides use them and really like them. How they handle mapping and routing isn't as good apparently, but they are more reliable.

That was a wakeup call for Garmin and apparently the new 830 / 530 are a big improvement and better than Wahoo - which doesn't seem to have moved on much since the Bolt was introduced.

So - without having tried either, but having read a lot and spoken to a lot of people, I'd say the Bolt is better than the 520, but the 530 betters them both.

Joffey

Big Dosser
If you decide on a Garmin go for the 530, not the 520+ - far more features and mine hasn't crashed once. It's been flawless and I'm super impressed with it. Having had 4 Garmin Edges the 530 is a remarkable improvement to what went before and appears to leave Wahoo behind somewhat.

Broadside

Guru
I had a Garmin 800 for 5 years, I never had any problem with it until the battery finally gave up.
I went for a Wahoo after being told the simplicity of it made it far easier to use and the maps while not as pretty are actually good enough

After having it for a year I would not go back to Garmin. I find the Wahoo navigation much easier to follow and never get lost with it. I often used to take a wrong turn with the Garmin in built up areas but the simplicity of the Wahoo navigation means that is now a thing of the past.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Plenty of people seem to be comparing an old garmin device with a new wahoo, that is not exactly a fair comparison. Functionality has improved significantly in even just the last 3 years.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Plenty of people seem to be comparing an old garmin device with a new wahoo, that is not exactly a fair comparison. Functionality has improved significantly in even just the last 3 years.
My wife just got rid of here Garmin 1000. Thats pretty new, she bought it new about a year ago. Had a few problems with it.

Broadside

Guru

Fair comment. I would however point out that the people who convinced me to go to Wahoo had all recently got rid of Garmin 820 devices. I did use to love my Garmin but I think the Garmin user interface got left badly behind when Wahoo appeared on the scene.

Top Bottom