Wahoo Bolt or Garmin Edge 520 Plus ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Or maybe they thought of giving a bit of help to the ones who can’t read black and white maps :whistle:
Or ones who would buy if they had coloured maps.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am looking forward to a Roam 2. I think the first Roam offering has issues (See DC Rainmaker) that don’t, for me, make it a viable upgrade from a Bolt or Elemnt. The mapping is so good I find, that recently I have split the screen display so I get the map and elevation profile on the same page.

Nothing has beaten the Elemnt for audax and touring in my experience. And looking around other bikes at the start of events and at controls, it’s looking like many cyclists are voting with their wallets and investing in Wahoo. Money is always a good litmus.

Tom B

Guru
Taking it slight off topic I was all set to buy the 520plus to replace my stolen 520. But then i found that the fully featured 820 was cheaper than the 520+.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Which unit is better?
I know they both offer the same thing pretty much... so perhaps looking for an answer who owns both.

The main thing is the performance... lag-free and doesn't crash or corrupt files.

If you read dcrainmaker's review - link posted earlier by another - he says the Garmin 520 does not do navigation.

That leads me to the question what is the point? Why buy a device which doesn't do navigation beyond a breadcrumb trail?

cyberknight

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The only wahoo's I've seen in the flesh crash less often than Garmin but when the wahoo's do crash they lose the ride Garmin's keeps them :wacko:

I have had one crash near the end of a 200km audax. (Possibly cold but just a guess) No problem getting the route back in action or saving the entire ride. Nothing was lost including me.

I have loaded an entire 500+km complex TCX route taking in Bristol and London (with 30m turn alerts) and it took it all in it’s stride.

Last edited:

cyberknight

From the sound of it they both have good points and supporters go with what floats yer boat

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The only wahoo's I've seen in the flesh crash less often than Garmin but when the wahoo's do crash they lose the ride Garmin's keeps them :wacko:

I don't know what type of crash you are referring to but if you're thinking of a shutdown I'm not sure this is correct.

I have switched off my Wahoo Elemnt many times while out. Both the ride and route are available when it is switched back on. It does take a while to restore the ride, perhaps 3-4 minutes. It's a useful feature for very long days in the saddle as battery can be saved while in a cafe.

I don't know what type of crash you are referring to but if you're thinking of a shutdown I'm not sure this is correct.

I have switched off my Wahoo Elemnt many times while out. Both the ride and route are available when it is switched back on. It does take a while to restore the ride, perhaps 3-4 minutes. It's a useful feature for very long days in the saddle as battery can be saved while in a cafe.
I'm not sure what crash it's been just the people I know with Wahoo's say that the unit died on them and lost all the data and couldn't upload hours later :-/
I switch off my garmin or put it to sleep at stops to save battery and it restores instantly :-/

Top Bottom