Wahoo calorie count

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Question for all the Wahoo ELMNT users out there..

Now, I appreciate that the calorie value is only a guide and not an accurate figure, but has anyone had issues with this value jumping right up over the last couple of weeks?

Both the unit and the app on my phone are the latest versions, but on my usual 14 miles a day ride I used to register between 300-400 calories... now over the last couple of weeks this has jumped to between 700-900 calories on the same route..

I have checked all the values in the app, i.e HR zones, age and weight and these seem OK...

Anyone else have this issue or noticed it?

STuart

figbat

Slippery scientist
Maybe this?

1591604967434.png

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I updated it to the 27th May update last week, seems to make it worse not better lol .. the 5th June is not available to be at the moment... checked this morning

Probably not helpful but... Mine has been tracking pretty closely to my watch (Suunto Ambit3) since I enabled the calorie view a few months ago - this is as of a ride yesterday. I have both a power meter and HR monitored paired to both the watch and ELEMNT.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

30-40 per mile a good rule of thumb, more if you're a very heavy rider and it's tough terrain on a mountain bike :okay:

I am not exactly light, about 108KG at the last check end of last year, and 30-40 would make about 400-500 calories, which is around what I did see, 300-400 maybe a few more, not getting up to 1000 ... seems odd only been doing it the last couple of weeks...

figbat

Slippery scientist
To answer the question posed though, I haven't noticed a significant difference in energy use across my rides. I use a Wahoo TICKR with an ELEMNT Bolt and my input data has remained the same (weight, equipment, max HR etc).

vickster

Legendary Member
I am not exactly light, about 108KG at the last check end of last year, and 30-40 would make about 400-500 calories, which is around what I did see, 300-400 maybe a few more, not getting up to 1000 ... seems odd only been doing it the last couple of weeks...
My last 4 rides uploaded from Elemnt look to be within my ballpark (if not a bit lower) - not especially hard or hilly, and I'm about 91kg

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I did send them a message and they came back with how it was calculated, plus mentioned the update which I have done... The figures shown do match the Wahoo screen before it uploads.. so don't think it's a Wahoo to Strava issue..

May send them the screenshots to see what they say..

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess the question is...does it really matter (unless you're taking part in a clinical trial)?

If weight loss is your aim, you need to consume many fewer calories irrespective of how many the devices (guess) estimate you are burning :okay:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

It is not a major issue, I am on a weight loss exercise, lost 4 stone in just over two years and got rid of my Type 2 diabetes, but it is strange how it has gone for no reason as far as I can tell... unless a Wahoo update has changed something more than the update they said did... mind you the new update was released after this issue started but did not rectify it..

Inspector Monkfish

I've noticed the exact opposite. 35/40 mile rides used to burn anywhere between 17/1900 calories. Now it's reporting 11/1200. And 63 miles at the weekend reported only 1900 calories burnt when my previous ride of a similar distance a month ago reported over 3500. Not trying to lose weight at the moment, but I do use those figures to contribute to my calorie intake, tracked via MyFitnessPal, so keeping an eye on it to make sure my weight doesn't start falling due to me not consuming enough calories.

Top Bottom